Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
berfish

Sturgeon Fishing

9 posts in this topic

Coming up in a week to do a little sturgeon/walleye fishing. How are the river conditions this year? I read that the river was up in June. Anyone been getting any sturgeon?

There has been a few people fishing sturgeon at the mouth of the littlefork river and in the deep hole behind the dam. I haven't heard how they have been doing, but I can assume that they are catching 'em. And yes the river is up, so alot of the hazards have now been eliminated. grin.gif

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info. Does the river have any kind of walleye bite in the summer? I know it holds fish all year-round, but what's the outlook for a summer outing out of Clementson, for instance?

The river has great fishing year round!! grin.gif You'll be able to come up to Clementson and catch walleyes, bass, northern, sturgeon, etc. Stick to the structure/current areas and you'll do fine. A jig and a minnow is your best best for 'eyes.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

Thanks, brother. 'Spose early & late bites are best...what depth would you start at?

Sorry so slow with a reply. Many many irons in the fire.

Our sturgeon folks did OK last week. Not nearly as good as in May but the river has been through a lot in the last 6 weeks. Current has calmed a bit and clarity is back to 2-3' range.

It is actually easier for me to find walleyes when we have current. Watch your graph as you run and look for what I call the "saw teeth". Upstream side will slope and downstream is a sharp, near vertical drop. Tops will run 12-16'& some of the bottoms 20-24'. Eyes will usually be on top, just behind the peak, or right at the bottom. I prefer to slip drift with the trolling motor, matching the current and keeping a vertical line.

Jig & shiner are OK but I prefer a leech & M goes for the crawlers. Don't stop a few bucks short of a good fishing trip. Take some of everything, you never know what they want from day to day & even hour to hour.

This spring was my first time for sturgeon on rainy, is this time of year on through the fall nearly as good as the spring - or should I try some new water in wisconsin? Just wondering where you guys think my crawlers would be in the most danger, up north or over to the east. thanks

Its still good in the fall, but not as good as in the spring time. Anytime that you have great numbers of fish trying to get into one area(like the spring) you are bound to have great fishing.