Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PokieGuy1331

Pokegama Eyes

10 posts in this topic

Fished 10 straight days on Pokie, every morning from 6AM til 10AM. Caught 3-4 eyes each morning on 8-10' spinner rigs with crawlers. Caught a majority of the fish in 19-23' outside of cabbage weeds. Smallies were also active with a normal morning of 3-5 smallies all 2-3 lbs. Great fighters.

Its gettin to be about right time of the year for the night bite on the flats off nezbit island. i used to do it every night from now till sept and caught some really nice fish. Used a 4 inch floating rapala chartruse and white behind a three foot leader and enough sinker to just touch the bottom. give it a try laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I had some luck with the walleye's on pokie over the wek of the 4th. During the days I found some on deep structure with a crawler. I meant to try spinner rigs but never got around to it. I trolled the far east tip of morton's flat Thursday night and caught a fat 23 in 12 fow. Moved over to the shoreline by the golf course and ran into a school of eaters in 6-8fow. Caught 5 between 14 and 17 in about an hour and a half. I don't catch 'eyes that size very often on Pokie. they all bit a large gold Husky Jerk

The smallie fishing was super. While dragging crawlers, I caught several 18s, 4 19s, a 20 and a 21. I had caught 19s before on the lake but the 20 and 21 were a first. Can't wait to get back!

I believe the DNR started increasing the rate of fingerling stocking 2-3 years ago on Pokegama. I am definitely seeing the difference. Anyone else?

Pokieguy, I don't remember ever seeing so many 'eaters' either, the last two years in particular. The 120,000 fingerlings dumped in the lake in 2004 are growing pretty quickly. I have seen schools of these fish on my aqua-vu literally stacked like cordwood on some spots, very cool. Its interesting to note that we rarely catch big fish with these packs of eaters.

gkl, congrats on the 21" bass, thats a big smallie, did you weigh it by any chance?

Does the DNR still stock lake trout in the lake? How are they doing?

Bodigheimer, all those big bass and the 21 was from the first spot that you showed me the last time we were out. We caught some bass there and you got that 27 'eye. I didn't weigh the 20 or 21 but the 21 was solid, I'm sure over 5. I still have those pictures for of you and those nice 'eyes. If you want them, call me with an email and I can send them to you.

JB, About 3 or 4 years ago the DNR put about 8oo trout in the lake, mostly juveniles but some adults. Most of the trout reports are from guys spearing and they see a giant once in a while. I got three from shore a few years back, fins were very damaged, I'm sure they were freshly stocked. To target the trout would be difficult, like a needle in a haystack, the thing is it just might be a twenty pound needle.

I spent a morning earlier this summer with my laker rig down deep. I trolled around but only put the rig into dirt. The lake has some really messed up structure, full of shallow long points and humps. Was able to graph schools of I believe were smelt but nothing around. Later in the morning did some deep jig fishing but was unseccessful. Big lake, lots of water and sparse fincky trout. Would like to spend more time learning the trout fishing but few people have the patients to waste time hoping to hook into a trout.

Last summer caught some nice eyes in a weedbed at night. My bro who is part of sheriff dive team, informed me of the walleyes when they were out on a night training dive.

Someday I'd like to fish this lake through the ice, it'd be nice if a quality population of lakers could be established. It appears the food source is there for them.