• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favorite processed venison

Cooter

For me its ring bologna, especially with a healthy dose of garlic. How bout the rest of you?

Italian rope sausage, I use it for rigatonni or in spaghetti sauce. My kids love it

Thinly sliced smoked back strap, Oh my. A healthychunk of bear roast with potatoes an carrots an onion. Yummy yum. I've been burnt out on the sticks an brauts an such for awhile now I like cooking my game old fashion with twist of new style, Like grilling venison thats been marinaded an wraped in bacon, things like that. Boar

Italian venison sausage from what use to be Mark's Meat but is now Circle Pine Sausage Haus. Unbeatable.

Summer sausage. Snack sticks, although they do get a little old after awhile. Favorite is a roast, with carrots and onions. Wait, favorite is bratwurst. Hold on a sec, Jalapeno brats. Nope, hamburger is good. Alright, my real favorite is a steak with fried onions, A1 steak sauce, and a touch of Lowry's. My mouth is starting to water. Season can't come soon enough smile.gif

Summer sausage. Good in sandwiches, good as a snack with cheese and crackers, good nuked for a hot sandwich.

Summer sausage too. On a sidenote, I've been trying country-fried venison steaks and they are very good. Salt and pepper the steaks, roll them in some flour, fry them in some olive or vegetable oil for a few minutes on each side, then put them in a dutch oven and barely cover with chicken broth and a couple of shakes of thyme. Cook covered for one and a half hours at 350 and its tasty venison with the consistency of butter.

for venison steaks and chops on the grill I use Tone's Canadian Steak seasoning. I only cook them for about 6-8 minutes on each side (1" thick steaks) giving me close to a medium rare doneness.

I will season the steaks and leave them in the fridge for 4 or more hours before grilling them

Sounds delicious chucker, I'm gonna try that one with bear steak, provide I get one. Boar

-German Beer Summer Sausage (from Schmidt's Meat Market in Nicollet)

-Jalapeno Cheese Beer Sticks (from Von Hanson's in the Twin Cities)

-Homemade backstrap jerky, I use Worcestershire & soy sauce, honey, liquid smoke, habanero pepper....

Thanks guys, now I'm hungry!!

All the above til I cant get up from the table.

But mostly summersausage I have processed in bloomer

Ditto with all the above. I do like some wild rice & cheddar sausage on occasion. Mmm good.

WG

How about some canned venison over mashed potatos, or just fresh from the jar.

Jalepeno cheese snack stix

Beer Cheese bratwurst are unbeleivably awesome...

kottke, I've been contemplating canning some venison, I may have to try that this year, rather than crowding the freezer, can up some of the stew meat.

Blackjack you won't regret trying it. It makes the best strogganoff you can imagine. Just mix it with cream soup and sour cream and enjoy.

Here's how I can mine.

Cube trimmed venison into 1" square.

Pack all you can fit into a widemouth quart jar.

Add one cube beef boulion.

DO NOT add any water. It won't be needed. You'll be surprised how much broth will be left in the jars.

Use a pressure canner according to directions for raw meat canning.

Bob

bobt, I copied your recipe, I have the jars, I have the big canner, now I just need the venison!