Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tonkasmalle

NEW TO THE TWIN CITIES AREA / HELP!!

4 posts in this topic

I've recently moved to the metro, specifically the Minnetonka area. I know, there's great fishing to be had on Tonka, Waconia, Minnewashta, etc., but I was born and raised fishing the Mississippi (specifically around the Clearwater MN area) and I love catching the smallies/catfish on the river... not much can beat it.

Anyhow, I have my own place now but not my own river boat (yet). Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could catch some numbers of fish from shore??? I'm new to the area so when people say "pool 2," I don't have a clue. If you could help with where to park and walk from, maybe what to use.. that would be great!!!

Just another river rat trying to have some fun in the sun

Pool 2 starts at the Ford dam(between MPLS and St. Paul just downstream of the bridge next to the Ford plant) It goes all the way too the next dam(hastings i think?). A good place to start is under the dam, where the Minnehaha Creek enters the river. You can access this easily from the MPLS side by parking in the Minnehaha park(located just off of hwy 55 and hwy 62) above the river and walking down the stairs to the river. You can also access the river from the St. Paul side at Hidden Falls boat landing, or the lilydale landing, or Ft. Snelling State Park(this is where the rivers meet I believe), locations for these can be found on the DNR website.

I would not overlook the Minnesota River either, though you won't find bass populations there like in the Mississippi. Also, fishing upstream of the Ford dam can be good, though I don't have specific access locations for you.

A good city map will show you access areas like parks, streets, and boat launches.

Be careful when fishing the city rivers, the "wildlife" can get a little rough sometimes.

Thanks a lot for the help! I appreciate it and will do my best to get out and catch some numbers... without letting the "wildlife" get me. Probably a good idea to take a buddy or two... and always more fun.

Thanks again!!

Any more ideas out there... let me know! grin.gif

I recently moved to downtown St. Paul by XCEL center. I am looking for a good shore fishing spot down here for anything that bites. Any help is appreciated.