Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deerdragger

Cell phone reception?

4 posts in this topic

Heading up to Rainy for the first time later this week...rolling in on Thursday AM, and we have some stragglers that are joining the group sometime Friday. Wondering if a guy can count on cell phone reception to allow us to make arrangements to pick them up at the access...

We're launching at the Rainy Lake Visitor's Center and will likely set up camp not too far to the east.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS - How's the bite? Looking mostly for walleye...

I wouldn't count on cell phone reception. I have Verizon and I have made phone calls from fox island before, but it is VERY patchy, and NOT good reception. So you may have reception, but I wouldn't rely on it.

As for the fishing. It remains good as the mayflys are declining in numbers. Fish can be found on the reefs and shorelines in 20-30 feet of water. Look to pull lindy rigs with leeches or crawlers for most of the fish...and a jig and a minnow for fish on windier days(its just easier).

depending on which tower you connect to, you may get a canadian tower in which case for me, requires that I dial a 1 prior to the number for it to work. (Sprint) even then, it doesn't always work well.

Bitz

Just outside of Black Bay I get excellent reception with Verizon. It goes a few miles east, at least to the end of DryWeed island. There are some nice camp sites in that area but they are popular and you can't count on getting one that close to the visitor's center. If you know the approximate time your friends will arrive, you can fish where your phone shows a strong signal and wait for them to call.