Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stanman

Bass on Cass

5 posts in this topic

I am wondering how many of you ever go out strictly targeting Largemouth Bass on Cass Lake? My family has a place @ Sunset Cove, so I often find myself targeting LMB in Dick's Bay and around the Potato Islands, but now that we've got a boat capable of making longer runs across to the main lake, I'm curious if anyone is willing to offer any general information on where they may have encountered bass on the main lake. I practice strict C&R on all bass.

On the S part of the main lake, we knew a guy who always got up early and would hit the Marina boat docks then work his way north into the resort harbors (before anyone could shag him away).

Secondly, I would suggest giving Buck Lake a try.

Third, for a real long trip, make your way up the Turtle River into Big Rice Lake - some hawgs in there I hear.

And for a real adventure, portage into Windigo on Star Island for a day.

Being right in Dick's, I don't think you can go wrong with your approach in there (we throw jig and minnow) or around the Potato Islands (where we throw fire-tiger minnow baits).

But if you are really a serious LMB guy, I would suggest trailering over to Little Wolf to give that a try.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input, Gene! I'll be up there Friday through Tuesday, so that should give my father and me plenty of time to make a trip (or two) to some of the "non-Cass" locations you mentioned.

Stanman,

I know I hit a 5 lb LMB by mistake around the potato islands. I was fishing with another guy on this site for muskie early one morning and I made this long cast right up against a fallen tree stump about 2 feet from the shore. I had a big bucktail muskie lure on but as soon as that lure hit the tree stump BAM that LMB hit it like a train. I also caught another 5 LB and a 4 LB in the lilly pads right outside of Wishbone Resort. Again, purely by mistake. I had just bought a new Zara Spook lure and was testing it prior to heading out on the lake, making sure it would walk the dog straight. Two casts and two fish, wow. The 5 LB took a few minutes to pull out of those lilly pads as she dove down quickly and I only had 8 lb mono on the reel at that time. Lots of fun, though we primarily target walleye and perch.

Windy

Sounds like I should take up Muskie fishing if I truly want to catch a big one!

cool.gif

There are definitely some dandy bass in Cass! My first bass ever was a 22-incher in Dick's Bay about 13 years ago. It got me hooked. I used to fish the pads in Dick's bay quite a bit, but they've become so over-grown with wild rice it has gotten a bit trickier.

I have found the Potato Island and Dick's Island areas to be rather productive, but I'm itching to find more go-to spots throughout the lake. Thanks for the info!