Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cliff Wagenbach

Eurasian Water Milfoil warning!!

20 posts in this topic

There is Eurasian water milfoil in Everett Bay on the East end Of Vermilion! mad.gif

Be very careful to clear your prop and lower units on your motor when you leave this area!

Hopefully we can slow the spread of this exotic a little.

Cliff

Cliff, I guess it was just a matter of time before this stuff showed up. With all the boats that come and go on the lake it was sure to happen sooner or later. See you this weekend. Later Darrell.

I thought I saw a piece hung on my axel this week when I hauled it. I pulled it off. I did notice alot more weeds floating around this year. Was all of that EM?

Ken,

If you were in Everet Bay the weeds you saw floating around probably were EM! frown.gif

I have found weeds floating as far away as Cantfield Bay if the wind has been fron the South-West over the years, so it probably will not be long before it shows up there too! mad.gif

Cliff

A reminder never hurts, so everyone should read this even if it's the 100th time. Straight from the DNR:

If you are a water recreationist—boater, angler, water-skier, sailor, or canoeist—there are some important things you can do to prevent the transport of harmful invasive species from one lake or river to another. In Minnesota it is illegal to transport harmful invasive species.

* Inspect your boat, trailer, and boating equipment (anchors, centerboards, rollers, axles) and remove any plants and animals that are visible before leaving any waterbody.

* Drain water from the motor, livewell, bilge, and transom wells while on land before leaving any waterbody.

* Dispose of unwanted bait in the trash. Never release live bait into a waterbody, or release aquatic animals from one waterbody into another.

* Wash then dry your boat, tackle, downriggers, trailer, and other boating equipment to kill harmful species that were not visible at the boat launch. This can be done on your way home or once you have returned home. Some aquatic nuisance species can survive more than 2 weeks out of water, so it is important to:

o rinse your boat and equipment that normally get wet with hot (at least 40° C or 104° F) tap water; or

o spray your boat and trailer with high-pressure water; or

o dry your boat and equipment for at least 5 days, before transporting to another waterbody.

* Learn what these organisms look like (at least those you can see). If you suspect a new infestation of an invasive plant or animal, report it to your natural resource agency.

* Consult your natural resource agency for recommendations and permits before you try to control or eradicate an invasive "pest." Remember, invasive "pest" thrive on disturbance. Do-it-yourself control treatments often make matters worse and can harm native species.

Hasn't Milfoil been in Vermilion for years, or is this a new occurance?

There is Northern Water Milfoil in Vermilion.

Cliff, was this truly identified as Eurasian Water Milfoil?

By the DNR?

As I understand it they can be confused. The Eurasian has limp leaves when taken out of the water and the Northern does not.

Sally, at Fortune Bay Marina, told me that the DNR positively identified the milfoil as the Eurasian brand. frown.gif

Cliff

I could have sworn I have seen warnings of Eurasian Milfoil at Timbukto and other landings for years. Am I wrong?

That just pisses a guy off right there... irresponsible disease spread

PSU,

I am not sure if I have heard anything about that area, but I would not be supprised if it is not true.

Cliff

Don't be so quick to blame other boaters. I was talking to a DNR biologist a few years ago about this and he told me he didn't have exact numbers but would guess that 95% of the spread is done by migratory birds, not boats. It sucks yes, but without killing every bird we don't really stand a chance to stop the spread. At least you guys are lucky and don't have that many mud bottom lakes, which this stuff loves to grow in.

PSU,

I've seen the warnings for years too. I believe they are informational, letting boaters know to inspect and to help stop the spread via boats/trailers. I don't think they said there was the Eurasian type in the lake.

I recieved an E-mail from Duane williams of the Tower DNR and also fron the head of MN. milfoil control stating that they have not confirmed that the milfoil in Everett Bay is the Eurasian type! blush.gif

Duane plans to get a sample himself and will let me know what the verdict is as soon as possible.

Hope that I may have just been helping to spread a nasty rumor instead of the truth!! crazy.gif

I will let you know as soon as I hear the truth.

Cliff

Quote:

D At least you guys are lucky and don't have that many mud bottom lakes, which this stuff loves to grow in.

Vermilion has so much garbage and sludge at the bottom that it might make for very favorable growing conditions! grin.gif

Update on Eurasian Milfoil warning.

Duane from the Tower District DNR office contacted me this morning and said that he checked out the report of Eurasian Milfoil in Everet Bay. He said that he found "Northern Milfoil" there but NO SIGN of the Eurasian Milfoil!

This is very good news! Hope that we stay free of the Eurasian stuff!

Thanks Duane!

Cliff

Great news! Hopefully a healthy scare every once in a while will keep people vigilant. cool.gif

That is good news Cliff, here I was blaming other boaters and got corrected by some person, who it was no matter to me. But I still believe that trailers etc, can spread the milfoil as much as migrating birds do. Later, Darrell.

Great News!

There is Curly Leaf Pondweed, another exotic, in Everett Bay. I think the large patch is between Fortune Bay and Everett Bay Resort.