Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kgpcr4

Bad Medicine lake trout PLEASE help

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if Bad Medicine is still a great trout lake. I have not fished it in a few years and am thinking about heading up there in the next few weekends. Any reports would be great.

i can't report personally but we get lots of guys and gals in the bait store who have been catching them. they dnr stocking numbers have remained steady for the last ten years or so. lots of fish and lots of fun to be had. Jonah

talked to a local up there. his report --walleyes great many to big to keep...qoute. trout good but but gave me no size range. smile.gif

I go there occasionally, mostly just because its one of the nicest and most scenic lakes in the state. Did you know thats where they filmed the old Hamms beer commercials? Fishing for trout is usually decent early in the mornings. They mostly run from 10-16" long. Walleye fishing usually is pretty good in the evenings. Swimming is great during the day.

Still a great trout lake. Numbers have been fewer and smaller for me this year. The spring '07 class are most plentiful and still too small for my liking. Fall '06 are nice size ... two year olds are beasts. I'm a downrigger ... small Vampire rapala. 30 feet down in 55 feet of water. I've seen some bobber fishermen do well. Not sure the presentation but would like to learn it for the kids.

The swimming is fabulous though and I've done more of that in my 30 years on the lake.

I fish the lake quite a bit, always catch fish. Some days are better than others of course. In the spring I mainly pull #7 jointed Rapalas around and do very well until the water warms up. I'm not a downrigger guy, this time of year I mainly use floats. You're right there is nothing better than catching a 16" + trout on an ultra light for the kids. Of course the adults love it too.

elbowfever can you email me at KGG55308@AOL.COM. Just have a few questions on the lake. i am going up again next weekend. Thanks for all your help!