• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Report from 4th of July through Saturday

The weather was just great. Actually too hot! I am in recovery mode now from all the sun.

My fishing bud Sparky and I along with Doc, Chad and Hudsy, spent three days up fishing and caught allot of really nice fish. The bite wasn't fast and furiest but was very good. Each day we fished the rock reefs some fish were up on top of the reefs and others were on the edges and then we caught them out in deeper water too. There really wasn't a exact realtionship on where the fish were. The fish were not schooled up they were all spread out.

We caught the majority of the walleyes on spinners using bottom bouncers with 6ft snells. Crawlers and leeches where our choices. Others were using shiners and fatheads and doing well too. Down riggers are starting to become the choice of methods too as some of the walleyes were suspeneded.

All in all we caught our limit of fish each day. Both walleye and sauger, nice size sauger too. Had some great fish fry's and accomedations at Lake Road Lodge Motel. Thanks to Brian and Penny for their hospitality at Lake Road Lodge Motel. Probably one of the best facilities and cleanest facilities up in that area. And just great people to stay with.

The fishing only going to get better up there over the next months. There are reports of many 100 fish days and serveral 30 plus inch fish being caught.

I know that I will be heading up there a couple more times this year.

Fish On!!!

Anyone else up there? Not many posts this year so far. Any other reports from the weekend?

Correction, (hope you don't mind) Brian and Penny are at Lake Road Lodge out on Wheelers Point. I was there, and also benefitted from their hospitality including fish frys in their new outdoor cooking / entertaining gazebo, this last weekend too. I caught plenty of fish out in 24'-30' out in front of the gap with frozen shiners and my usual Northland chartruse jig with the lg black eye and extra stinger hook. Same set up I use all spring.

Had pretty poor results until friday after the weather had stabilized. We stayed mostly in the area of the gap, although we did venture over toward zippel one day. My father in law loves his spinners, so we trolled spinners mostly, although we tried jigging with leeches, live shiners, frozen shiners, and nothing seemed to work. The big storm weds killed thursday's action and all we got was sunburn and blown around. Finally friday we found the fish and filled out our walleye limit in about 1 hour, so we headed back to get my wife and mother in law out there, but by the time we all got back on the water the fish had moved deeper because the wind died down and we only caught 3 more after that before calling it quits on the week.

I wish one day I could be the guy telling people "You should have been here last week!"

We fished Friday and Saturday with pretty good luck. Kept 10 each day and released several in and over the slot. Anchored in 31' and jigged chrome, gold and orange/green tipped with a frozen shinner. The wind from the SW made anchoring tough, and we broke loose a couple of times. Even Kevin from Wigwam was having trouble with his launch. Tried down rigging too, but those along couldn't keep the boat on course while I tended the riggers. We did however, net three over 19" Saturday while pulling plugs. Sunday again, drifting outside the Gap in 24' into 5' along Pine, but the NW wind was making 3' to 4' rollers at 11:00. One rookie got sick, so we called it a day. Used a drift sock too, and marked a lot of fish, no takers. Every fish I cleaned was stuffed full of May Flies. We ate good and brought a few home too. It's always good just to be out... Kaz grin.gif

I love your parting shot. I seem to be the victim of "you should have been here last week" a lot! and of course in the winter it's " wow it was great last week until the front moved in" frown.gif