Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duncan7709

Smallmouth on the Fly

7 posts in this topic

Hello I am new to fly fishing and I thought about trying to catch some bass on the Zumbro. What types of flies to use? Can you use some of the same that you use for trout for smallies? Thanks

check out the search feature, there is a ton of good talk on this subject on here. here's a quick list, woolie buggers, zonkers, clousers, deceivers, crayfish patterns, gurglers, dahlbergs, and waterdogs (dahlberg with a long bunny tail)

They aren't terribly picky these days with water conditions prime for smallies.

I caught this 17" bass, and a dozen or so other smallmouth last night, on a fly called a zoo cougar. It was a beautiful evening for warm water fishing. cool.gif

randy_smallie.jpg

nice reverse-negative smallie there Randy.

I haven't been able to get out a lot this year, but so far I haven't really caught any nice hogs...

With the flood waters finally receding around here, fishing should pick up pretty good here in the next month.

I guess I did catch an ok sized bass, here's a pic found from earlier this year. I caught it on my 9 weight with an orange crazy charlie. I was mainly out chasing roughies when I got bored and tied on the charlie to catch a bass or two.

smallieko6.jpg

Nice bass.

DH, how did you notice the picture was reverse-negative? I had to look closer to see that was in fact the case. Weird.

I hope you're doing well up there these days. Any chance you'll be headed down to the Lanesboro area anytime soon?

the logo on your shirt was backwards, plus the "C" was backwards on your twins hat.

I've been pretty busy with work here, I haven't gotten out much this year. Not out once for trout, but I've been hitting the warmwater action when I can.

At this point it's not looking good for getting down to Lanesboro this year frown.gif