Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jigneyes93

Rush Lake.....

10 posts in this topic

(I hope this post is in the right place) My family and I will be coming up to rush lake on the 17th for vacation and I have an 8yr old son who wants nothing more than to fish, not sure where gets that from...lol

I have never fished the lake so any info would be GREAT....

If its the rush lake in Ottertail co. your at the right post. And for fishing, there are a ton of northens to keep the young lad smiling for days, It doesn't matter where, they'll find you. grin.gif and for Walleye's i have been finding the best time lately is between 11 and 2pm 15+ feet of water with leeches...and nice sunfish too wink.gif...check out the north/west side... and good luck

We fished Rush for pannies Fourth of July week. The fishing was poor until it got hot late in the week. From that point on, bluegills, crappie and bass were hitting good, even midday. It was actually cooler on the lake, so why not fish. We fished the deep weeds at 10 to 12 feet. Sometimes on the drop off, sometimes on an isolated patch. These spots are all over the lake. For example, the West side sunken islands are weed topped and the Horseshoe is lined with nice weeds on the drop. Fished slip bobbers 4 to 8 ft down and panfish leeches really produced for the bluegills. #8 Plain hook, 1/16th oz jig, it didn't seem to matter but the jig was much easier to extract from the gullet (they didn't swallow it as easily).Crappie were caught on (shocker) crappie minnows in the same area, with some on a pitched black 1/8oz beetle spin with no spin. This was a bit wierd as my experience has shown pink/white and yellow as crappie favorites on Rush. Once in a while black does well. If it's calm and hot, the Gills (and Rockies) will often move right into the boats shade, but not the crappies IMO. If your on weeds and don't catch any pannies in 20 minutes, I'd move to a new spot. Go exploring for new weed beds with your electronics and try'em. You will be rewarded eventually. Don't forget a good needle nose pliers (hook remover), your going to need it. Remember, keep enough for a meal and release the rest. They'll be there all summer.

Good luck

I hear a lot about this "Horseshoe" but where heck is it ? confused.gif

My Dad and i think its this large sunken island in the middle of the lake and it has a bit of a curve to it

Look at the DNR map of Rush. Starting in the East Bay, follow the 10 foot contour line out of the bay on the North side. As you head toward the NE the "Horseshoe" is the first sharp inside turn that sends the 10ft contour line almost straight South. That general area is the Horseshoe. No, the shape isn't quite right, but it's a popular place to fish all year.

Good luck fishing.

how do i get the DNR map i tried the website

Thanks i would have never been able to get that im not very techno savvy crazy.gif

THANKS for the info...my son as well as my daughter had a great time fishing. We didnt have to look hard for the sunnies or the gills. We went through 250 wax worms in 2days

grin.gif

we did manage a couple of pike, nothing big. as for the eyes, a big goose egg...lol...

glad the kids had fun, It truly is about them smile.gif You may want to try Annie Battle Lake (north of battle lake) for BIG BIG sunnies, You can only keep 5 so read up on the lake, LOT"S OF RULES and fish toooooooooooo It's a nice State park and a young one at that... it's been a park since 1990....