Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frydaddy

Pepin....smallie attack

4 posts in this topic

I took the afternoon off on friday and fished Pepin again. I was not finding any cooperative walleye / sauger in the heat of the day so i decided to switch tactics.

I fished the rip rap shoreline on the minnesota side and it was very productive for smallies. I wasn't doing anything special but using my go to smallie bait.....3 inch twister tail cast to the shoreline and slowly retrieved.

I caught about 12 smallies, 2 crappies and one sheephead. the majority of the smallies were 12-14 inches. I caught 1 15 inches, 2 16 inchers and 1 18 incher. I was surprised at how shallow these fish were in the heat of the day....most were caught in 2-4 feet of water.

Here are a couple pics

16 incher:

746917613_2c186d6b20.jpg

18 incher:

746917589_b726a62281.jpg

I really thought that 18 incher was going to be a 20 inch class fish but it wasn't. Fishing smallies on Pepin is a great way to spend a hot afternoon when nothing else is biting. All fish were released!

Awesome fish daddy,

Those smallies are a total blast. Nice fish. Shallow rocky water.... Yep, that sounds fimiliar. Nice report and pics.

PS. Your 16"er looks 20" Very Nice!

Rugby and I got into heaping piles of smallies at the BWCAW and I'm still working on getting the pictures and a post up. My avatar is a dead giveaway(the smaller one is 18.25")

Nice fish

what were you using to catch those big daddys

ike

Nice fish, and even nicer pictures. The bluffs look beautiful in the background. I grew up in the area and moved up to the cities about 5 years ago, and man, I sure miss seeing those bluffs.