Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunrevir

Any opinions on the OXYGENATOR?

15 posts in this topic

I have been looking at theses and thinking they would be nice for the livewell/bait well to keep both fish and bait lively while on the water. My question is are they worth it and have you seen good results with them? The theory behind them seems pretty solid. Just wondering with this hot weather. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tunrevir~

I have one but don't use it much, I leave my livewell and baitwell on the auto timer and that gets me by. If I was on a trip where I was keeping minnows for a few days I would probably use it, but for day trips or weekend trips I usually don't mess with it.

I don't know about the Oxygenator. It sure it couldn't hurt. I use a water additive called BaitFresh. Has worked great for helping keep large bait fish alive for me.

I know Denny Brauer uses it, and after meeting him this 4th, I trust him!

They were offered on this site a while back and I remembered some issues. I did a search and came up with this from a couple of years ago.

"We no longer carry them for good reasons. There were a high number of returns from freshwater users. It actually appeared to kill the minnows. Several of our Pro Staff also encountered the problem.

Their return policy was also punitive.

We will not, in good faith, sell these until their units work as advertised and their return policy is fixed.

Purchase at your own risk.

When you see us disconitnue an item because of manufacturer issues, you can bet there is a manufacturer issue that isn't good.]"

Now that was two years ago and things my have changed. Do a search and you will get all kinds of info.

I have the small one and I use it in a minnow bucket. It works well. I use it mostly in the winter while ice fishing, but have used it in summer also.

Ocf1 where did you meet him at?? and why??

Well... since you asked, He was in Seward NE, where me and him grew up(many years apart) he was there for an honorary thing. He had a bass lesson so i learned alot then, then since I am good friends with his nephew I got to talk to him for a while. Then I recieved a wheaties box with him on it that was signed plus 2 baits. It was a blast, plus you cant beat a fourth in seward.

Also John Ritchie, former fullback from the raiders and eagles stayed next to us. Hes a super cool guy, and he spent a 1000$ on fireworks, great times we had!

Tunrevir.I dont have one yet but do plan on adding one to my livewell.The new ones that are out dont have to be cleaned.They have an automatic shut off when the water drops below the unit so dont mount it on the bottom of your livewell.I know Turk has one and loves it,also one other friend of mine put one in this year,no problems...

Thanks for all of your replies! Might have to look into the purchase a bit more and research things.

Tunrevir~

The company was sold about a year ago. Dennis Clark, the new owner, seems to have the early version bugs worked out.

I've installed one in my boat, but haven't used it yet. I'll let ya know how it does if I'm lucky enough to need in the tournie I'm fishing next Saturday.

For those who dont know....

The oxygenator splits oxygen and hydrogen from water. Fish by themselves split the oxygen and hydrogen. So, the oxygen keeps them livilier. At baitshops you see them inject oxygen into the water. This technology is what will be used in hydrogen cars. Hope you understand this.

I have two, one on a minnow bucket and one on a cooler/makeshift livewell and both have worked very well.

I like them... I dont own one yet but will be adding them to my boat one i get it. I think they will really help in the dog days of summer when is hotttt!!!! Like this weekend was!!! smile.gif

I had one and it worked very well. I think I lost it on LOW though. frown.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Troy Smutka
      Memorial Weekend,      Hit Waconia Saturday morning for bass. Caught about 40 largemouth--most from 14 to 17 inches, with a few 17 and 18 inchers--and several nice pike. Fish were in cabbage out from bedding areas, in about 6 to 9 feet of water. Fish were scattered, lying in the weeds looking up for sunfish that are staging in these areas preparing to move in and bed. With this situation, we buzzed spinnerbaits and weedless spoons over and through the tops of the weeds, and the bass aggressively came up on them, as well as some pike. Had one lazy muskie follow as well. Got good footage for a bass segment of Fishing and Hunting the North Country on You Tube. Added footage of a couple smallies from out in the Hutch area Saturday evening. The bass fishing will continue to get better as the water warms, with more big ones, and the sunfish bedding bite is probably only a week or less away. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.    
    • Troy Smutka
      Memorial Weekend,      Out on Washington Saturday afternoon and evening after hitting Waconia for bass Saturday morning. Caught largemouth, smallmouth, and pike. Added footage of a couple smallies to the largemouth and pike footage from Waconia for a bass segment of Fishing and Hunting the North Country on You Tube. Caught the bass and pike on Washington in four to seven feet of water, out from bedding areas, on spinnerbaits, Rippin' Raps, and Shadow Raps. Up on Mille Lacs this coming weekend for a walleye tournament, then will be back out in the Hutch area the next weekend guiding. We were targeting bass this weekend, but got a tip that walleyes are biting on a couple Hutch area lakes on live bait. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Geez Terry! Now you will be telling me that walleyes are only good muskie bait! Cliff
    • JeremyCampbell
      Nice report Cret Musta been a thrill getting that 9.75 Gill.  
    • JeremyCampbell
      Wow dude lol Sup Moose how you been?
    • guideman
      Vermilion has excellent fishing for both bass species   The east end has the best Smallmouth action and the west end has the best Largemouth action, however you can catch either on both sides of the lake.  For Smallmouth, rocks, docks, points, saddles, reeds, wood and the shoreline rubble are all very productive. Most of the green bass are found in or near the slop and the west end has the best of what they like the most. Spinnerbaits, any color as long as it's white, stick baits, cranks, topwaters, jigs, swim baits and soft plastics all work for Smallies. Jigs, topwaters(Frogs) plastics and a host of other stuff will catch the green bass. Have a great time, the midweek traffic is very minimal.   "Ace"   "It's just fishing man"
    • guideman
      Bla bla bla, all this Walleye talk is boring me to death.   The real opening day is this Saturday when the Muskie opener comes to Minnesota and the Big V.  I'll be out fishing with my son and grandson searching for some real fish.   The weather looks great, my baits are all sharpened and the new line is on all my rigs. Bucktails, Glittertails, spinnerbaits and minnow style cranks will make up most of our arsenal, however we will also be tossing a few topwaters looking for those Big green girls and not even talking about Walleye fishing.   Have a great weekend everybody!   "Ace" "It's just fishing man"
    • monstermoose78
    • flagislanddan
      5/29/17 Fishing report from Flag Island Resort NW Angle, Lake of the Woods   Happy Memorial Day!   The past week has brought some variation in weather including sunshine, wind and rain. Overall fishing has been good.  The bug hatches have started with the fish flies having some impact on the fishing but, anglers are still consistently getting limits.   On the Minnesota side, the walleye, sauger, pike and perch bite continues. The magic depths have been between 7-13 feet in the mud and 16-26 feet on rocks. The Flag Island Flats are starting to heat up. Other hot locations include points and near shore reefs. Just the same as last week all tactics have had their day. Jigging, raps and spinners have all been producing once you find what is working. The water temp is around 58 degrees.   Over in Ontario anglers are still catching a nice mixed bag of walleye, sauger, crappie, perch, pike and smallmouth bass. The crappies are moving shallower getting ready to spawn. Some depths according to their species are as follows; Smallmouth bass 2-8 feet, Walleyes 20-24 feet and Sauger 26-30 feet. Points, reefs, humps, areas with current, rock piles and inside turns have all worked when looking for locations. A jig or spinner with a minnow or crawler has worked best. The hot colors have been gold, pink and orange.   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides, Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011  
    • Tripp_315
      Bring: #5 Shad Raps & 08 Xraps (Yellow Perch and Perch) Green pumpkin Tubes White 3.5" grubs You'll have a blast...see you on the water, I'll be there the same time period. ~Tripp