Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
so haaad

Sticky swivel seat posts

11 posts in this topic

I've got a couple sticky seat posts that are very tough to slide into the floor mounting bracket. It's almost like the aluminum swivel-eeze have expanded, making them not-so-slide-eeze. Any recommendations, other than cutting up the carpet and replacing the floor brackets?

Silicone spray lubricant works for me.

I purchased a small tube of powered graphite and dusted some in the base and also on the seat pole. This worked out pretty darn good and you dont have a wet, sticky mess and dirty hands when done.

After putting some on I place the seat in the base and turn it and pull it in and out a few times to work the graphite to all areas.

Harveys right but you may use some steel wool (Fine)on the inside of the bases first! They do corrode : grin.gif

You are right about the steel wool. The reason I didnt do it to my seats the first application is they are brand new. It made a huge difference with a new boat so an older boat it should work even better when the corrision is steel wooled clean. You do need a smooth surface. I have never used silicone before but I think the powered graphite might be better as it wont attract as much dirt as silicone will as the silicone is a liquid. Just a thought.

Sparce, good point I forgot to mention. Thanks. smile.gif

I have the same problem with the seats on my Ranger, except it's where the seats go into the post. The connections are plastic. I've had to use a rubber mallet to pound them out of the post before. I sprayed them with silicone and they come out easier ,but still not they way they should. Any ideas?

First make sure the base and pedestal are clean. There is a lot of moisture and dirt in a boat and it can get in there. The steel wool is a good idea since it is a mild abrasive. For lubricating I put parrafin wax on the pedestal and it lasts one to two seasons. I keep a piece in the dry box.

Quote:

I purchased a small tube of powered graphite and dusted some in the base and also on the seat pole. This worked out pretty darn good and you dont have a wet, sticky mess and dirty hands when done.

After putting some on I place the seat in the base and turn it and pull it in and out a few times to work the graphite to all areas.

To go a step further, you can get graphite spray. It goes on just like spray paint. If properly preped, and allowed to cure properly, like paint, it will stay on for a long time.

Pam frying pan spray,just a little or it gets sloppie. cool.gif

Warning!!!! do not use wd-40 or similare spray. It will soften the plastic enough that if you are in some heavy waves they will pop out base and could be very dangerous

dry silicone spray from Menards does the trick!