Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smnduck

Woman lake tactics

10 posts in this topic

I'm staying with the family (including mom in law) at a friends cabin on woman lake. Some general tips for bass and northern. Color,depth? Longline Trolling spinnerbaits, rapalas on weed lines? Any help would be great. Just some general info.

For bass, head to either Girl or Child. They are very similar lakes with plenty of bass and plenty of "Fishy" looking spots.

Northerns shouldn't be too tough on Woman, that's all we seem to catch when trying for walleyes! Drag a minnow around or a crankbait and you should find some fish. Spain's and Government point hold fish, as does the deeper water hading into Lantern bay just to the north of the public access. I also see a lot of people throwing sucker minnows under bobbers in front of our cabin on Bungey Bay. You may find some bigger fish this way if you find a weedy drop off.

Good luck.

Squee hit it pretty much right on the nose. Have been up there the last week of june every year for the last ten or so. 20-25 inch northern are everywhere in that lake - jig and minnow in 10-20 feet will limit you are your boat mates out every day - our family did two weeks ago. Girl is a great lake for largemouth (watch out for rocks in the channel), but if you want smallmouth, stay on Woman and fish the rocks. We saw several smallmouth on top of the rock pile on the east side of the lake. Fat raps or leeches should do the trick. Good Luck!!!

Largemouth can be found most easily in Girl Lake, Child Lake, or also in Broadwater Bay on Woman. I haven't tried the channel into Child this year. The water is low and it has been a little dicey in the past.

There is a pretty decent weed line to the east of Government point, out in front of the Gold Coast. Northerns are everywhere and I would think any presentation on that weed line, or also other areas like Bungey Bay and the weeds to the south of Horseshoe island would produce.

I have also accidently caught a lot of Northerns at night trolling any shallow flat for walleyes. I don't even try it during the day because I assume it would be loaded with Northerns then. There is a nice 8' flat between Government Point and Horseshoe island that I would guess would be snapping with northerns during the day.

Thanks for the info. Had fun, Caught lots of northerns in the 20"-30" range. White or blue spinnerbaits trolled over weed flats next to sharp drops. 15 fish an hour. A few bigger fish on wally divers on long points 15' to 25' deep Fished for bass and the tactics and cover are quite a bit differant than I was prepared for but adapted on second day. Small bass. Did not figure out the large bass pattern. Lots of fun and very nice people in the Hackensack and Longville areas!

Well, this is sort of a "pre-report". I will be on Woman for most of my vacation, which begins mid-week next week. I plan to finally break away from my location and time of day (night trolling) unless I pick a bunch of walleyes up the first couple nights. My night trolling routine (which had been so effective for the previous few years) began to dry up last season and I had more mediocre results on the one weekend I have spent on Woman so far this season.

So, I plan to break out and try some live-bait spots during the morning and daylight hours this time around. It will probably feel sort of like a new lake to me. I had the night trolling thing dialed in and the late nights meant sleeping in, which in turn stunted my daylight fishing abilities on that lake.

how is da fishin on squee-dunk.???

I am coming up tomorrow for a bachlor party but might be able to fit in some casts when everybody is face down in the grass. Someone told me there are some Muskies and Smallmouth up on Women. Is that true? I think that is all I will be able to fish for seeing how live bait and a bachlor party might get interesting (first guy to pass out gets leechs all over them). Anyways I was just wondering what species is hot up there right now.

smallies are not everywhere but some are huge. Caught a 22 and a 23" in a ten minute period a couple years back. Biggest i have ever caught. Rustys by the thousands give them plenty of food. Rock fingers (points) nearest the steepest drops should do. Good luck. Will be up there sunday thru sunday. Mainly on portage bay of leech good luck

Squeedunk has been very peaceful! The bass are getting really skinny though and the northerns have been pretty tiny this year. Rock bass and pumpkinseeds are getting bigger though, maybe too big for the bass to eat. It's still nice to get out of the wind every once in a while down there and relax!