• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another Lame First time to a lake question ahead

I know, I know- ! Its about the lamest question that can be had on the board -BUT it has to be asked. I'm Going to Lower white fish with the Fam next week and really Only fish the Croix pretty much every weekend with a trip or two to the pond thrown in so I need some tackle tips and maybe some Depth tips-I see you guys always talk about Deep weed lines and Lindy Rigs- Is it That easy ???

Once you hit July, "I" would basically be trolling cranks next to the deep side of the weed edge, which will most likely be about 14-17 FOW. Silver and blue, or perch colors, trolling fairly fast. Lots of pike, with some walleye mixed in. Others can give you more walleye-only info. Good luck!

eyesonly,

In response to your last question "Is it that easy?". I wish it were, but unless you have found a few of those honeyholes out there, the answer is no. I've yet to find any secret locations, but Foley Bar, Trout Bar, and all the other places you'll see boats are a decent place to start on that portion of the lake. I'm heading up tonight and am going to drag some lindys/leeches aroung Foley and a couple other usual spots and then pull cranks near dark.

Thanks Guys, Very Helpful - Hey anchor man - I assume both spots you mentioned are on My Navionics chip ??

I am a St. Croix river rat myself, but lucky enough to have in-laws on the chain for the last 12 years. I agree with trolling cranks during the hot summer pattern. Best time for eye's is sunrise/sunset otherwise you will be pulling northern's all day long. If my only option is daytime fishing I work deep cranks over the humps with some good success or lindy rig in humps breaklines on the windward side of the lake in 24ish FOW with some success. If you are marking fish on your electronics take a few passes through as the eye's change preference it seems on a daily basis from leeches to minnows. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

yes those spots will be on your Nav. chip. I have the Lakemaster chip and I can't remember if they actually have the name of the bars on the map. If not, Foley Bar runs completely across the lake from point to point about at the mid way point of Lower/Upper Whitefish. Can't miss it. The Trout bar extends out from the tiny channel connecting Trout lake. With the Nav. chip, you'll be able to see several inside/outside turns on these reefs and along the shorelines, these are areas I'd check out.

Yes ODFMR I love the Croix also and I consider it my home waters But we are looking forward toward Our vacation and it will be a nice change of pace for a week - I wont know how to fish without the current smile.gif

Thanks Anchor man and everyone else for the Great start - Cant Wait