• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

KEVIN SLOWEY BACK TO AAA

kaz2611

Twins sent slowey back to AAA. I'm not surprised. They hit the nail on the head when they compared him to LONG BALL radke. I the kid credit he stays around the plate but he serves up meatballs when he is ahead in the count. I think he also has to slow his pace down on the mound.I dont feel that he really thinks through what pitch he should throw next he just gets the ball and fires it in. I'm glad the twins gave him a shot though and he does show some promise and I think he will be called back up end of august.

He was sent down because MN has 4 games in the next three days and he is not scheduled to pitch for another 10 days with the all star break. They need another pitcher for the upcoming series and because they went deep into the bullpen Slowey's last start. Also will give Slowey a chance to pitch a few games instead of sitting during his 10 days. Yankees make a lot of pitchers look bad. Even the good ones.

That is part of the reason that he was sent down, but IMO he is not ready to pitch at the MLB level just yet.

Let's be honest, his stuff is not that good. All throughout the minors it was said that he has excellent command and throw a few different pitches and that is how he gets hitters out. It didn't look to me like he had very good command at all. He definitely needs to work on that because when he leaves his pitches over the middle of the plate, it is basically batting practice.

Not trying to give up or get down on the kid, but he cannot be right over the middle with an 88 mph fastball with minimal movement.

He could get some practice pitching for the home run derby grin.gif

He had to go down. You don't want to keep sending him out there to get roughed up and destroy his confidence. And the Twins are in the race for the playoffs here...and young starters are just too inconsistent.

I hope Garza can get the job done this time around. He had some experience last year...maybe - just maybe - he is ready this time. Here's hoping he does better than he did last year...

That was a good outing by Garza tonight. The rap on him earlier was that he didn't mix his breaking pitches in enough with his fastball. He had a pretty good mix tonight. He probably just needs to listen to his catchers and maybe he can do all right...

• 2 weeks later...

Garza looked good again tonite against the tigs! we just need to get some hits!!!! crazy.gif

That was frustrating especially against a stiff pitcher like that to get no runs.

Joe hit a groundball on a drawn in infield. Not exactly a smash but it did get the job done.

Cuddyer choked last night too. They needed to win that game. You aren't going to get pitching any better than that. Great game by Garza, looks good for the future.

P.S. Since this thread is about Slowey, he just pitched a nine inning shutout last night down in AAA.

Quote:

Joe hit a groundball on a drawn in infield. Not exactly a smash but it did get the job done.

Right the game winning hit exactly what we needed.

Anybody who rips Joe Maurer "not you willy" is CLUELESS!

Slowey....Smowey!!!!! grin.gif

You're right he is the second coming of Johnny Bench.....Tons of RBI's , very durable, wonderful power. And he is ONE OF US for goodness sakes!!!!!!!