• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Walleyes off Ottertail lately?

My girlfriends family is spending the weekend with us and I've been told I need to take her dad and brother fishing. Anyone getting anything on Ottertail lately?

Michael

Well I have been fishing it. I have been averaging about 1 walleye for every 4 hours spent fishing.But am just getting to know the lake.

Taking your girlfriends Dad out fishing - ouch talk about putting the pressure on! I wish I could give you some specific advice, but I don't know the lake. How about night fishing? The Skeeters were really bad as soon as dusk hit, this past week. All the boats would vacate the lake around 9:30-10pm. At least it would give you an excuse - "Well we would have caught loads of walleye but the skeeters were so bad." What ever you do - good luck and keep us posted to what happens. Note: My best walleye fishing in the OT/BL area during this time of year has been at 4AM!

Just got back from our yearly vacation on OT. We were there for 8 days and the fishing was tough. I just can't quite seem to figure that lake out as far as daytime fishing goes. Tried the 17-25 foot spots a lot in the morning, afternoon, and evening and only caught a couple small walleyes (<12 inches) using lindy rigs with either leeches or crawlers. Nighttime (10 pm -1 am) was better trolling crankbaits just inside the weedline in 7-9 feet of water. We would usually catch 6-8 walleyes per night, with 2 or 3 being over 15", and we even caught one 25" and one 23.5". As I've seen in a couple other posts, you want to bring bug spray or long sleeves in the dark if it is calm out because the mosquitoes are pretty bad from about 10-midnight. Good luck

One question: How fast do you guys usually troll your crankbaits? I was usually doing about 1.5-1.7 mph.

3 things to try. Early morning try what a few old timers have been doing for years. Saltwater guys call it fly lining. Hook a leech on a #4 octopus or salmon egg hook, let out about 100 feet of line and troll SLOW with the electric over 4-8 foot flats. You might be surprised. Later on try the Gizz snap jiggin'. http://www.fishingclub.com/document.asp?did=7641

Saved many days for me when I lived in Fergus Falls. Last, if you come across cabbage in 15-20 feet of water, stop and slip float a leech for 15-20 minutes. Good luck!