Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mnvikingsfreak

New Lawnmower

Question

mnvikingsfreak

I'm looking into getting a new lawnmower a 3 in 1 walk behind self propelled model could I get some advice on a good lawnmower in the $200-$300 dollar range? or some lawnmowers to stay away from?

thanks!

21 answers to this question

1DIRTBALL

It's hard to go wrong with a Lawnboy. Mine is a Gold Series model which I've been using for 10+ years. It's just like a Timex watch. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking! grin.gif 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

mnfishman

I saw my neighbor using a John Deere walk behind that was pretty nice. The thing that I liked about it was when you let go of the bar the blade stopped but the motor kept running unlike some of the others that I have owned where you let go of the bar and the engine stops. That was pretty cool. I have no idea what they cost but I am pretty sure they are not cheap.

cold one sd

I have a Craftsman electric start, self propelled and it has been a very good mower. Change oil, air filter and plugs and it just keeps going.

bigdog

I have had good luck with Craftsman.

Scott K

I have had some bad craftsmen mowers, but I bought another, have had good luck with this one, honda engine, nice and quiet, and doesnt viberate.

Sandmannd

I love the Toro personal pase I have. Goes as fast as you walk or slows down with you. My Dad's had one for 12 years and is still awesome. Can't go bad with the tacumson motor.

lawdog

I used to think like one of the previous posters that you can't go wrong with a Lawnboy, but boy has their quality seemed to go in the tank lately. We have one we bought about 4 years ago and its been nothing but junk since the day we bought it. Know another guy with one 2 years old that's just as bad. Before these two mowers, I would have said Lawnboy in a minute. I have a John Deere at home too that was the better half's, but I think I'm blowing up the motor right now. Mowed with it last time and it made a HORRIBLE noise like it was throwing a rod. Shut it down and couldn't find anything externally wrong so I don't know yet but it wasn't good...

I've heard great things about Honda's if you don't mind going Japanese...

mnvikingsfreak

how is briggs&stratton vs honda? im looking into maybe a craftsman mower and they have both types of engines

Scott K

the first one i bought had a briggs, i used it for a month, it viberated my hands so bad, i brought it back and went with the honda, much better.

Hookmaster

My 1990 Craftsman front whell drive is still going strong. Other than normal maintenance, I had to replace the drive wheels. It's been reduced to a trim mower since I got a rider (Craftsman) 8-9 years ago. Before that it would run about 2 1/2 hours each time I cut my lawn.

bigdog

My mother and I have both had Craftsman with Briggs and Sratton 6.5 hp for the past 4 years and have had no problems.

RedDB76

I'm a Honda man now. A low end model is probably at the high end of your price range. After running a Honda lawnmower and snowblower, everything will be Honda for me. Lawnmower always starts on the first pull, snowblower may take 2-3 pulls.

Heck - since I bought a Honda mower, my fiance' does most of the mowing. That's worth the price of the mower right there! She can start it easily, and it works well for her. If I still had my old mower, I would still be doing the mowing grin.gif

mnvikingsfreak

I saw on some models they have an electric start does it work pretty good?

Scott K

The craftsman mower I bought with the honda engine is awsome. Starts first pull everytime. No need for electric start, by the time the pull cord is halfway out its running. My 9 yr old can pull start it by him self. Mine was in the $500 range.

pfluemis

Quote:

I love the
Toro personal pace
I have. Goes as fast as you walk or slows down with you. My Dad's had one for 12 years and is still awesome. Can't go bad with the tacumson motor.

I still use my 1982 Lawnboy for detailing where the tractor can't go (under tree's, ect...) but, a thread like this, was started at another site I go to, and a lot of people seemed to be VERY happy with that mower.

jweitgen

Honda. You won't be disappointed.

chris63

I know you said 2to3 hun. but I say add a couple more hun. and go with the Honda.(you won't be disapointed!)c63

DTro

I saw a few reconditioned Honda's at the Shakopee HD last night for $300. They looked brand new to me.

mnvikingsfreak

thanks everyone I think im going to go with a craftsman mower with a honda it's a little more than I want to spend but honda's last forever

Coach Dog

Toro personal pace is a great mower. I've had mine for 4 years and still starts on 1st pull and runs like the day I bought it. Made in Minnesota I think too. Never been a Craftsman fan, except for their hand tools, but the Honda engine in them now I'm sure is a plus.

Kyle Sandberg

Honda straight up