Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

ivegottabite    0
ivegottabite

Well I got out around Fargo yesterday for a couple hours, caught roughly 9 cats...biggest at 7lbs.

I saw a couple trailers at the access. Anyone else get out yet? It sure was nice to get back out again!

hanson    1
hanson

Figured that water couldn't stay up forever.

You guys need to send some of that rain further south and a little east, the Minnesota is dropping like a rock fast right now and will be getting very treacherous soon.

I might finally make it back up that way at the end of the month.

DEADhead    0
DEADhead

nice going Loren. The river's are finally dropping enough around here to provide for some decent fishing...

Scoot    13
Scoot

Yep, things are getting pretty darn managable around here. Fish should be headed into spawn mode very soon, so I'd suggest getting out sooner rather than later.

walleyes12    0
walleyes12

I got also got out this weekend and caught some really nice catfish. Felt good to get the cat lines wet again!

ivegottabite    0
ivegottabite

Quote:

nice going Loren. The river's are finally dropping enough around here to provide for some decent fishing...

It's been awhile for many of us river rats I think! It sure was nice to get out! grin.gif

icehole10    0
icehole10

I gave it a try on sat. First time on the red with a boat, and it was a blast. I don't know why I waited so long. We fished from 5 to 9 pm and managed to only catch one cat, but it was worth it I landed a 32 incher have no idea what somehting like that weighs but it was solid. We are going to try again on tuesday night if things go right.

Scoot I noticed on your post you mention spawning. do cats spawn this late in the year?

We tried frogs, smelt, and cut suckers. The one we did manage to catch was on a chunk of smelt. What else should a guy try? Are scent sprays worth it?

BrianLucky13    0
BrianLucky13

How was the water conditions??? Any floating debres or anything like that???? Might go for a few hours later this week!!!

Thanks

johnmn    0
johnmn

ivegottabite and I got out on Saturday. We caught 7 cats mostly small ones largest one was 6 pounds that ivegottabite caught. Water conditions was good, not to much debree. There was alot of people out Saturday, not many catching any big ones that we talked too.

ivegottabite    0
ivegottabite

It was fun getting out with you John. Though we didn't get anything too big we caught some fish. The debri in the river wasn't bad, there is still stuff coming loose from boat traffic yet.

I am almost in agreement with Scoot, as the bigger cats seem hard to find right now. I believe that cats will spawn in June & July on the river, usually when the water temps hit 70+ from what I've been told and read.

I will be giving it a shot tonight as well, working the Mid-Town area. Icehole, where are you guys going to be fishing?

Scoot    13
Scoot

Yep, early July is a common time for fish to spawn around the Farg area. Like Loren said, somewhere around 70 or so. During spawn it's pretty tough to find anything but little fish. As far as bait, I typically prefer cutbait before spawn and frogs after- definitely not a golden rule, but a decent rule of thumb.

icehole10    0
icehole10

I'll be putting the boat in the water at johnson park andheading a little ways south. I think that my two boys with be with me. hoping to be out there about 5:30. Maybe see you on the water.

As far as debris I really didn't think it was that bad, but it was my first time in a boat on the red and really didn't know what to expect.

rattleL    0
rattleL

Hey i have used jsut about everything for bait but not a frog like u guys said, how do u rig frog jsut wondering i did hear an older fellow at the dam talking about using frogs for nice channels

Scoot    13
Scoot

For local fishing, I'll do a couple things- 1) I snout hook them, 2) sometimes I'll "open them up" with a knife, and 3) sometimes I'll snout hook them and add a leg to the hook as well (this looks goofy as heck and totally unnatural, but at times it works). I typically have a frog on a slip rig (like a lindy rig with a bell or no slip sinker), but sometimes I'll use frogs on stand up jigs, particularly later in the year. Backwater Eddy taught me the stand up jig trick and I've had a ton of fun with it over the past five or six years.

icehole10    0
icehole10

Got out tuesday night for a few hours and couldn't catch a thing. my youngest managed to catch a couple of small ones on nightcrawlers, but nothing of size. Going to try again on thusday if things work out.

walleyes12    0
walleyes12

I also tried it last night and managed a few smaller ones. you can definetly tell there in spawn mode. Going to try a new spot tonight.

walleyes12    0
walleyes12

I tried a few of my spots lastnight and managed 3 little males. I tried frogs, goldeye meat. With nothing to brag about. Hopefully they snap out of this spawn mode and start prawling around for food.

Ray1    0
Ray1

hi guys im new to this site and just wondering what a 36 inch catfish weighs? icehole10 and i were out last night and released one that big. he will try to post picture for you. i caught it on a cut sucker. we also managed to catch two smaller ones on shrimp.

hanson    1
hanson

Quote:

hi guys im new to this site and just wondering what a 36 inch catfish weighs?

Right around 20lbs, give or take a pound.

Nice Fish!

Ray1    0
Ray1

Thanks Chris.

Ray1    0
Ray1

Anyone get out this weekend? just wondering if the cats are feeding heavily yet? i would like to get out this week.

walleyes12    0
walleyes12

I got out everynight this weekend and caught a few nice ones, they didn't seem real hungry yet. I bet in the next couple of days things will pick up!

Scoot    13
Scoot

Yep, fishing has been decent, but is getting better. It will kick into high gear really quickly now I think.

Ray1    0
Ray1

sounds like a good weekend. hope to get out on wed.Thanks for the reports.

icehole10    0
icehole10

picture of ray's 36 inch cat from last thursday.

872308628_80bb2d34b8.jpg