Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bucksnort64

porcupine problems!!!!!!!!

14 posts in this topic

is there any thing to put in deerstand to keep the porcupines out that will not scare the deer . got hit in arm and shoulder last year first morning climbing my stand very lucky not hit in face.

one round from your rifle/muzzeloader/bow/shotgun/pistol right between the eyes. other than that i don't know

that has been known to work in the past I hear ,but would like to find some scent or something? I wonder if coyote pee would work ?and not spook the deer if it is put up in the stand ?

it might work but i wonder if it will scare your deer away too?

Do you use plywood on your stands? I heard once that the glue that holds plywood together is like porcupine candy.

You could send the dog up the tree first. Only problem is the dogs gonna look like this. blush.gif

72374656pj6.png

HOLY CRAP! I would try the one shot between the eyes bit first!

shocked.gifshocked.gif

CA

Is that for real!!! What do U do to get them out?

You could take a piece of aluminum about 24 inches wide and wrap it around the tree. Do this 3 to 4 feet off the ground. The porkie can't get traction to climb then.

Don't send the dog!!! I have spent hours pulling quills out of a old lab I had. It wasn't fun. A couple of them never came out they were so deep.

I'm sorry, that was my lame attempt at humor. That was just a internet email picture thing I received. We too have dogs and would never even think of doing such a thing.

The wrapping tin around the tree is very good advice. They do it to keep squirrels of the power poles too.

dumb question if trees are close do porcupines jump from tree to tree like squirrels?

I read that the quills are hollow and full od air, and that if you clip them off with a scissor they pull out easily. I don't believe they can jump, but they run faster than you think. I think the allum, or tin around the tree would work, might want to paint it so the shine doesn't scare your venison away.

Bandit...that thing about the air in the quills is an old wives tale. Definitely not true. If your dog gets quilled, don't clip them, just pull them out with a pliers. Clipping actually makes it harder because there is less to grab. Porkies aren't quick. I've walked up and killed them with an axe handle.

Thanks for clearing that up about clippiing them. As far as them moving faster than you think, I have walked up to them also. A friend and I saw one on his land once and went after it, [He hates them] we never did catch it. Must have crawled in a hole?