• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Arrow length and weight--rookie questions

USPENAMC

here are some more Rookie questions???

i bought a darton vapor bow i believe it was set at 45 pounds and 30 inch draw.

I know have moved it to 60 pound draw weight and 25 1/2 draw length and was wondering if someone could let me know or help me on what LENGTH and WEIGHT of arrow i should get. I would also like to know what GRAIN or dimension of FIXED broadhead i should get 100grain 125grain. i will be hunting deer.

i figure the arrows must be sticking out about 7 inches since they were meant for the 30 inch draw length.

How will the new PROPER sized arrows help me ?

Are they necessary?

I seem to be shooting okay groups for a rookie but anything that would help is welcome. I believe getting the proper arrow weight and length cant hurt. I will still continue to shoot the others for target practice.

7 inches over the edge of the bow? Wow, yes I would suggest buying some carbon arrown and cut them to your draw. Or even cut the ones you have put a new insert in and go. There will be a difference in shot placement and pin position.

I like the 100 grain idea - remember to get field tips the same weight of the broadheads you are shooting.

Good Luck

If you're up for some reading do a search on "arrow spine". Its about the stiffness of the arrow and how it flexes during shots. Having the proper length is important, but variations in the length can adjust the spine of an arrow up or down to fine tune your setup.

For deer you'll be mroe than fine with a 100gr. broadhead. I've used the Magnus stinger with great success and am using the G5 strikers right now. Haven't shot anything with them yet, but I like them alot.

30" draw down to 25 1/2" is a huge change in draw length for a bow. Most models I've seen can't accommodate that large a change without changing cams, limbs or both. Are you sure the bow is made to handle that much of an adjustment?

I might give a call to Cabin Fever sporting Goods in Victoria and ask the archery shop those questions. Neal, dawn and Jeff will be more than happy to help you out. You could even take a few shots there to check things out to make sure all is right.

The arrows may work OK depending on the spine but I think you will want to cut the arrows down a bit. What kind of arrows are they exactly and how many do you have? I personally think you should settle on a certain arrow and not mess around with mixing other ones in for target practice.

92 python, i came to that same conclusion today i have 4 arrows that are US FLAG and they are dead on with my sight but i have 3 more arrows that are black and are about an inch and a half shorter and they hit about a foot high at 40 yards while the us flag ones stay on target as i move down to 10 yards the black ones only hit about an inch higher.

the guys at cabin fever lowered my bow down from 30 inches to 25 1/2 and it shoots great no problem. i think the bow says its adjustable from 26 to 30. I am actually a 25 inch pull but i have to live with the 1/2 inch cause thats as low as the bow will go. It is used and wanted to get into the sport.

once i figure out what length of arrows i need i will probably get something already pre made/cut to near around what i need and stick to them and re adjust my sights and go from there.

by the way did anyone go shooting their bow in the eden prairie archery target range was with their daughter i was thinking it might have been an FMer

Easton puts out a tuning guide with good reference as to properly measuring arrow length.

Typically, for a hunting arrow, you want to be sure your broadhead has proper clearance. I would typically cut arrows about 1 inch beyond the riser. For target set ups, it would be one inch past the pivot point, or forward contact of the arrow rest.

The weight and spine is the next factor. Use the Easton arrow charts to determine proper spine and weight. As noted above, the arrow shaft flexes upon release. A light spine flexes more. Weight of the broadhead or tip can affect the spine, as well as length. The draw weight and length of the arrows will determine what arrow spine you need. Heavy draw requires stiffer (heavier spine) arrow. Proper spine is an important component of accurate and safe shooting.

Best advice is to determine the length of arrow you need for your set up, then consult the arrow tables from Easton or another manufacturer to find the minimum spine you need for that length, shooting that draw weight.

Good luck

i have some beman hunters or something like that i took to gander today and got them cut for 2 bucks a piece not bad. although i did have one problem. im a 25.5 draw length my brother has about a 1 to 2 inch length advantage on me. he was measured at cabin fever and thats why i know he is like a 26.5 or 27 inch draw. the guy at gander had him pull back and stuff and said he was a 22 inch draw???? do stores vary that much that is 4 to 5 inch difference?

the vapor is designed so you can adjust it 26-30 in. draw. grin.gif i do wonder why the big change? get with the guys that helped you set it up!! they are your best source of info, and can get you set up with the right arrow, and pt. weight! del

Delmuts,

the reason for the pull length change is because I bought the bow USED. It was set up at 30 so i dropped it down as far as it would go. I wanted to see if i would be interested in bow shooting and hunting. I LOVE IT. I enjoy it its a new hobby for me. I figure learning the ropes and getting my gear setup properly is the big step. from then on i can concentrate on the other things. I did get my arrows cut at gander mountain and they are the BEMAN ICS HUNTER arrows. I was also looking at the starrflight FOB or something like that i might give it a try.

cool!

i would suggest you get back to the bow shop and have them help you find the right arrow/pt combination for your setup!having matched arrows is a BIG thing !! since you are so new to archery, i would stay away from much of the experimenting on your own for now.have the guys help set you up, and concentrate on having fun shooting! grin.gif del

it is scary.. newbie experimenting he he. id probably kill a deer but he would be dying of laughter grin.gif cruel and unusual punishment

its my time to contribute.. I found a place that you can probably find by doing a search for CUSTOM CUT ARROWS or something in that manner. well it shows you diagrams and everything you need to know about how to measure the arrow length. You can actually purchase custom cut arrows for example me i measured my arrow length. 25 inches from the groove in the nocking pin to the edge of the screw in for my broadhead/field tip (usually youre suppose to measure to the edge of your grip but i wanted them a little shorter.) okay then i put in what kind of arrows i wanted i was looking for the beman ics hunter. then through some drop down menus i put in 60 pounds, the type of cam on my bow and draw lenght and it gives me the matches that i can choose from. you can order them custom cut. my only dilemma now is knowing what type of VANES to get any info on that would be great. i love that they come with a certificate so you can take to any store and get the exact same setup anywhere.