• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Frabill Nets...Did I get a "lemon"?

CatManLee

Question

So last week I bought a brand new Tru-Trax Frabill net with the adjustable extending handle. It looks really nice, is very smooth when adjusting and has a nice net. I thought this net was gonna be just what I was looking for....

Well, lets just say it wasn't what I was looking for. On the very first fish ever netted with it (A 37"+ Pike), the net broke in half where it extends out! I didn't even have it all the way out, and it broke way too easy, in fact the fish was still in the water when it broke!

I ended up bringing it back to the store and exchanged it for a different net, a much tougher net and a different brand.

I don't really know where I'm trying to go with this post, It's just amazing how easily it broke and I wanted to WARN everyone to take a good look at these before purchasing one. I guess if there is any positive thing about this, is that it happened while "just out fishing" and not during a tournament. I would have been really upset if I would of lost a big tournament fish because of it.

12 answers to this question

I have my fathers frabil Kwik kradle net and have used it for 5 years. This is a huge net that has landed many fish from 30-50#'s from flatheads to Sturgeon to muskie and has never failed once. This is the best net that money can buy.

You must have recieved a faulty net as I could not be happier with the frabil I own.

I have a tru trax and the handle is a little on the flimsy side but I it for my walleye net and I think it will work prefectly fine. I have the 4-8 handle I have used it either all the way in or about 6' out but at 8' there is quit a bit of flex. I can see where a 37" pike could cause it trouble. I think that my some other models thought that will work fine for larger fish.

I bought mine last spring after looking for 2 yrs of indecision,I'm pleased 6' tele handle,Its strong, light little big in the smaller boat and it is tagged as made in Taiwan,but I'm pleased with it, cool.gif 18 lb. fish is largest so far off a bank,

If you can find one, try a Beckman net. It'll cost ya, but it's a lifetime purchase. Really a nice net. One of those things that after you have one, you'll never go back.

Craig

The money I spent on a Frabil ($50) did not last long. It was a nice lightweight net while it lasted, but a wimpy hollow tube frame did not impress me when it snapped.

I agree on the Beckman. Spend a little more money and it will last! You really do get what you pay for.

I have many Frabill products, but I don't know that I will purchase one of their "fancy" landing nets again.

I purchased one of the 3700 Pro-Tech Catch and Release nets and it fell apart after one try. I returned it; same thing happened on the next one. They just don't make the joints and connectors beefy enough on this net.

If you want a nice stowable landing net, I recommend the StowMaster. My fishing buddy bought the largest one, and it's been a dream for landing everything from sturgeon to flathead cats. It is kind of a spendy net, but it's performed well, and it's nice with such a big net to be able to telescope it down and fold it up for stowing.

I did look at the Beckman's, but they are a little on the spendy side...Too much for my wife to say "yes"! shocked.gif The net I ended up buying is very simalar to the beckman nets though in it's construction and overall appearance.

Don't get me wrong here guys, I'm not knocking Frabill or the products they sell. Most of the stuff they sell is great, I'm upset with how weak THIS MODEL was! I realize it's not gonna be able to lift a huge fish straight up out of the water with 8ft of handle between you and the fish, but like said in the above post, the fish was still in the water? And it really wasn't a HUGE fish?

The new net I bought doesn't have an extending handle, it's just longer than my old net (wich was too short and why I wanted a new one) and will get the job done just fine. It really sucks because now I'm scared to buy another net with an extendable handle????

Anyways, thanks for the replies guys. If you have already bought one of THESE nets, hopefully it will give you years of reliable service and you won't have the same problem I had.

You must have gotten a lemon, or a net damaged in shipping or at the store. Your experience is not even close to the experience I've had with Frabill nets.

I have a Frabill Pro-Formance net, basically the same thing as yours except you have the twist lock handle, I have to push in a little button to release mine to extend.

I know at least 3 other cat guys down here with the same net as mine and these nets see regular duty with fish up to and over 40lbs.

A couple of our shore spots require netting a fish down a concrete wall. I've seen these nets lift fish (20-40lbs) vertically straight up this wall. You need the nets with the telecoping 8' handle to reach into the water. They will handle them.

You got a bad one man!

I would agree with you Chris. The Kwik Kradle I have is spendy($170.00) but it has performed without a problem. Many sturgeon up to 53 inches, flatheads up to 40#'s and some smaller muskie. The handle has not given me any problem and its nice to leave the net and fish in the water while you take the hook out. Then one can photo and release without much harm to the fish.

My frabil net is awesone and I wouldnt trade it for another brand. My dad used it and I have had it for a few years also. Its somewhat large for the boat but handles all fish very well.

Quote:

The Kwik Kradle I have is spendy($170.00) but it has performed without a problem.

$170.00 for a net? Uff Da!

But she's a dandy for those bigger fish Chris. If need be when I catch that 65-70 inch sturgeon or 50# flattie, it will go into the net, its that big and with the end curved, you can swim the fish in.

Holy Crapeth! I only paid about a hundred for my Beckman about 10 years ago. And often net 20 lb northerns, a few large salmon, and just last week a 40" Nipigon lake trout.

While I had the Nipigon trout on the floor, I was just thinking about ordering a new basket. A barbless treble got hooked in the weave - the first time I can remember.

Rest assured, the trout swims free for you. I don't kill big fish. And the Beckman has really helped with that.

There's lots of nets out there. Get what you need. But remember, the net is key in releasing live fish.

Spend $100 on a net? My wife had a fit too. But after 10 years, she'd authorize another tomorrow.

Craig