Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Water level on the chain

11 posts in this topic

How is the water level on the chain? Was wondering if I can get through the channels, or not. Have not been up in a few months.

Most of the area lakes are down 5 to 10 inches.

Wayne were catching as you phrased it.

Not a problem getting through the channels, even though the water is down a little but not drastic!

Jigs

Quote:

How is the water level on the chain? Was wondering if I can get through the channels, or not. Have not been up in a few months.

What are you going through the channels with??? The average boat won't have a problem, but some of the bigger boats might. Or, if your like me, and your prehistoric boat doesn't have TnT, it get's to be a PITA to pull up and lower the trolling motor. grin.gif

I am on Cowdry. Looking to maybe get to Darling. Mainly stay on Cowdry, Union though. I know that channel to Darling gets low later in the summer, but how low it is now is the question. I have a little 14' aluminum fishing boat.

The levels on Darling are low, but not terrrible. The worst that I saw was in about 1989, when the water stopped going over the Carlos Dam and also the Cowdry bar at the tressel. The creek between Darling and Cowdry has been pretty consistient over the years, so you should be ok with a 14' boat. The only difference is that in low years you need to walk the area directly below the tressel, and again near the old Aga house (on the river bend).

I remember that the LP River mouth right below the dam had suckers in it just waiting to be speared all the way through June. The rough fish really got thinned down that year. I was about 22, single, & had a spear. The water was so warm in the river by that time you could just spear in shorts & old tennis shoes & never worry about getting cold. There were northerns in there that would just let you walk within a couple feet of them under the bank, as long as you didn't roust them out with your spear they'd just sit there, it was different.

bigbucks,

That is really funny that you bring that up, cause my buddy and I bowfished below the LPR dam all the time that summer. We waded around exactly the way you did. Do you remember all the bullheads that were inside of the culvert? in the summer they moved downstream to the first deep hole. And the dogfish were also in along the northerns in the weeds. Later I remember we canoed a certain stretch of the river late in the summer and found a "deeper" hole that was just thick with walleyes. They were basically trapped due to the shallow water. The biggest one that I caught that summer was about 7 lbs.

I vaguely remember the bullheads. I remember a buddy I took with spent a couple of hours just try to spear these really small doggies, like under a pound. He got a few as I remember, but the sucker spearing was more fun.

Ah the memories...definitely some good times were had bowfishing the LPR.