Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
88_2000

East Side Report

10 posts in this topic

Just got back from 4 days on lake v (first time). We had a great time and caught alot of fish (8 different species). We spent the first 2 days around raspberry island and east of there. We lindy rigged, jigged, pulled cranks and cast into the shore. We had marginal luck doing this. We caught walleye, northern and bass lindy rigging (one every 1/2 hr or so) and alot of smallies casting wacky worms into the rocky shore line. Left alot of tackle to the rock gods. There were dead mayflies everywhere.

The 3rd and 4th day we went to the north side of east v and found some underwater weeds and tried slip bobbers. We absolutley killed the fish doing this. We caught 100's of fish each day. We caught unlimited perch some jumbos, 9-11 inch sunnies, 15-20 inch walleye, 12-20 inch smallies and some northern mixed in. We had constant bites. They only bit on live bait (minnows, worms and leeches). All the Gulp I bought was a waste of time (except for the wacky worming earlier). There were no mayflies on the north side of the lake.

The whole 4 days we never caught a fish in water over 10 feet deep. We tried lindy rigging and jigging over deeper fish but could not get them to bite.

We had a steak all ready for Cliff W, but lost our Nebraska flag when we were heading out...so no way for him to recognize us. Sorry Cliff, get you next time.

We were up there the last three days as well...Did ok for our second time chasing eyes on the big V...Never tried slip bobbers or weedbeds...sounds like we should have.. grin.gif Trade you your weedbed spot for my rockpile that produced a nice plastic lawn chair.. grin.gif

I was also up from 7-1 through 7-6. Didnt find any fish until the 3rd as i was out searching in big bay and decided to go back to what i know the best. Dragging Rapalas in Pike Bay! Between the 3rd and the 6th i managed to get 6 walleyes and 1 northern all trolling size 9 rapalas in Pike Bay. 2 of the walleyes were perfect 16" eaters and 2 were in the slot at 17.5 and 18". 2 were also too samll to eat. The northern was a nice 25.5"er. I talked to a few other fisherman this week at hoodoo point, wondering if any were fmers? It didnt seem like anybody else was doing very well out there but i managed to get at least 1 fish every time i went out. It seems like the slot is starting to have a good effect, last summer the walleyes i caught in pike bay were all 10-13" this summer ive got them up to 18". If any fmers will be headed up and staying in pike bay in the next week i would happy to give you some ideas of areas to start and what lures to use grin.gif. Im coming back up next weekend to try and get some more wink.gif Good fishing.

Vermillionwally,

You did pretty well! The main lake bite has been very bad the past 4 days! tongue.gif

Cliff

Yeah thats what it sounded like. All the other fisherman i talked to had been skunked. That northern was my first vermilion northern since memorial day 2005!! grin.gif. I also found this weedbed out in the middle in about 6 feet of water that i thought would be good bobber fishing but i didnt have any live bait with me so i went back to get some and i came back out and couldnt find the spot mad.gif. Maybe next weekend. wink.gif

There are two weedbeds East and South-East of Whisky Island in Pike Bay.

The weedline by Indian Island is also a good bobber spot.

Cliff

I found the one southeast of it but could not find it later. By indian island would i fish kinda between the island and the shore on the edge of those weeds?

Fish just West of Indian Island.

Cliff

Finally got some vermillion time in this summer what a relief... found my fish on a secret summer hump... you will see boats on alot of certain midlake humps most will not be getting too much action... we tried a few spots with limited success... then took a treck to one of my old spots and found 8 20-22 inchers in about 15 minutes... great times couldn't keep them tho. Work humps and reefs and with enough searching you will find the fish... or listen to the guides who will also tell u good things...

Big Mike, I'm heading up there on Friday. Need pointers. email me!!!!!!!!!!!

-CJ