Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kda

Wind

3 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to get out with my wife tomorrow the 4th and noticed that the wind is supposed to be blowing about 12 mph. I know many of you spend a ton of time on the pond and should know what size waves are the result of a 10, 15 or 20 mph wind. What do you think? How big is the chop going to be?

Thanks!

Kevin

It all depends on what side of the lake you fish on. Waves can get pretty big when they travel 18+ miles. By the looks of it, winds will be coming from the northwest. ON the south east side, you'll probable have whitecaps but on the northwest side by garrison will be realtively calm and more fishable. Sometimes the wind just makes you choose where your going to fish.

For hourly wind predictions, click on this link. Mille Lacs Winds

Wind will be from the NORTH/NWEST up to 15mph. I guess it depends upon location, boat size, and the wife. Big chop, but not huge, at 15mph. I have a 17 foot boat. 10mph comfortable for my wife. 15mph gets her alittle uncomfortable after a few hours but if the fish are biting she'll hang in there. You might try the Malmo sand break on the north end or Sand Dune flat on the Northeast end or venture out on the north end mud flats. If the wife is pretty sturdy, go anywhere.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Cliff Wagenbach
      Big Hatches usually get the slow bite over in a hurry! Hopefully this will only last a few more days! Boated 22 walleyes today but only managed to keep 7 small eaters in 6 hours of fishing. Cliff
    • monstermoose78
      They used to have a nice gun range but some stupid locals shot their garage and blamed the range!
    • gunner55
      I'm only 8-10 miles south of smurfy with the same experience on the lake. Mn Fishing Pros is a group of 4 guys who guide in the area & so is Jeff Sundin. Not sure what any of them have for experience on that lake but you might try to contact 1 of them to see if they have a opening that fits your time slot or they might even have some info on the lake that they are willing to share 
    • Wheres_Walter
      Headed up this weekend and next weekend.  WIll be fishing mostly Frazer.  Sounds like the hatch is on.  If anyone has been fishing walleye on frazer in the past few days, got any tips on depth?  Presentation?     Sounds like crawlers are the ticket right now.   Thanks
    • blue_healer_guy
      Boy, some people must just hate their life.
    • Hoey
      I recommend considering other lakes.  URL by the 4th is nearly void of walleye.  8 years or so ago, we did a two-family trip and only caught fresh water drum.  Star Trib Article
    • eyeguy 54
      http://www.startribune.com/monster-muskie-found-on-mille-lacs-exceeds-state-record/431203243/
    • 2thepointsetters
      I was honored to be part of the "Veterans on Lake Superior" trip again this year. Channel six did a nice story about the Veterans. They were a great group out on the water.   http://www.kbjr6.com/video?clipId=13445592&autostart=true
    • 2thepointsetters
          Barry is retired. I bought his boat and fished her unitl I got the 38'er. Team Crush is still using the old Whitewater.   Barry does work on my boat occasionally as the first mate.    
    • portageguy
      Motor use day or camping.  Pick up day before or day of, May1-September 30. Fill out permit at entrance and put in box when exiting or mail in.  October 1-April 30