• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Manuella Fishing Reports

The milfoil has spread pretty fast. All the recreational boat traffic plows right through the stuff, chopping it and spreading it. In July/August there are pieces floating all over the lake. The lake association is weak at best. I don't know if the phosphate is coming from sucker creek fertilizers or from the property owners lawns. The northwest to northeast side is lined with the weeds but in the last few years the south side is now emerging. Southwest end is packed with the stuff but that corner has always been weedy. On the plus side, there is a lot of recycleable aluminum in the beach dumpter lol.

C & R ?? I haven't seen that many people fish the lake over the past few years summer or winter.

Faner

Catch and Release.. This is a total shocker from the last time I fished it. Is the lake association going to do anything about it? Or is it up to the individual lake owners to do something.

I don't know much of what is happening this year 2010. I believe the "President" of the lake association stepped down last year and I do not know who runs it now. The last news letter I saw from the association did contain the weed issue and asked for donations from each land owners around the lake. I heard a few years ago, (at Ellsworth township meetings concerning paving the roads around the lake) that there also may be a silt issue from sucker creek but have not heard anything on that issue lately.

I guess if I were looking to purchase property around the lake, I'd spend some time talking with those who live there currently and ask their opinions about any issue you think is important to you & your family.

Well, my parents did purchase the cabin, thats why I am asking so many questions. I am very grateful for you guys answering my questions. I wish I had more information to give my parents. Is it legal for us to kill off the weeds in front of the cabin, or is it a waste of time because they will just grow back?

Through the years I have known 3 seperate families that owned cabins on the NW corner south of the creek. Back then they had to rake weeds onto the shoreline. Today..well...not much has changed. I think you can clear weeds up to 2500 square feet without a permit but check with the county to be sure.

Thanks for the heads up, besides taking a rake to the weeds, is there anything else that a person can do with the weeds?

Best bet would be to contact the local DNR office and they should be able to give you some advice.

Hey Huskie, inlaws have had a cabin on the lake for I think 6 years, North side. I gave up fishing the lake after 4 summers and winters trying. Just go to hang out now. Have caught some good sized smallmouth though. Small northerns and small walleyes is the norm. I have never caught a walleye over 14", nor have I ever kept a walleye from the lake. I sold my bass boat this Spring so now all got to fish out of is the cabin pontoon if I decide to go out fishing. Good luck, it is not that bad of a lake! If you want to go for a ski ride let me know providing I can get it in at the launch, got a slalom ski boat now for the family.

Which part of the lake did you find these smallmouths at? I fished last summer and never found them.

Huskie, I am four cabins down from the boat launch next to the farm by the shallow bay with two boats and a water trampoline. Stop by and have a beer, then I will show you where the fish are. As far as weeds are concerned you can rake to your hearts content. The weed chemicals will kill off fish so I don't recommend using those as I do eat the fish out of this lake. If you need a hand I have a trick for removing weeds that involves my jeep, my boat, a piece of chain link fence and 300 yards of climbers rope! Get your bonfire pit ready!

If you want to catch me on the lake I will be the only guy on the water with a flyrod in my hand.

I will may have to take you up on the information! We are the in the northwest corner, with a black and brown smokercraft. My dad was wondering about that chemical if it would kill off fish so we decided with the ol racking trick. If you could e-mail me about how you do it, that would be greatly appreciated! brwi0302 @ stcloudstate dot edu

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Huskie, I work with your brother Joe. Everyone calls me El Jefe so when you ask him about me he'll know me by that name. Anyway I can't get out that way until this Wed. or Thursday but I think we should wait till late June anyway for the weeds to hit their max height and the roots to soften so when we pull em up they won't grow back as fast. Good job on those sunnies you guy's caught, were you with him on the Ol' Miss this weekend for those Bass? I'll show you the crappie hole next week as I will be staying out there almost every night.

Jefe-

• 2 weeks later...

FLOCKS OF CORMORANTS.....wrecking the lake JMO. They lit on the north end and it took about 10 minutes for them to cross to the south end then another 15 minutes for them to sweep the south side, feeding the whole time. Is this why I can't get a bite in 7 scattered days of trying?

I hear ya. I saw them on Sat. morning coming in. I wish I had my boat up there, I would of tried to kick them off. Is there something that we can do to get them off the lake??

What's the big deal with cormorants?

Cormorants eat on average a pound of fish a day, and cover their nesting areas with layers of feces that can kill most plant life. Say you have 500 cormorants on a lake. That's =< 500 pounds of fish a day. They stay from around April to Nov. It adds up. Manuella, Stella and lakes this size just can't handle that much pressure. I am wondering where these birds are roosting? Greenleaf/Sioux ? Anyone know.?

Just punched up Pigeon Lake on Mapquest, zoomed in on satellite view. I could see the cormorants looking up at me (one giving me the finger LOL). I haven't been by Pigeon in a few years. Has the cormorant/pelican population grown? Any skuttle-butt from the Dassel/Darwin/and nearby lake associations about limiting their population on Pigeon? Maybe I'm being an alarmist but I have fished the area for 50 years and have never seen such large flocks feeding on these small lakes.

A co-worker has a place on Collinwood, he said"the other night the Commerants were very thick out there as well". They looked like a big haybine churning up the water,very noisy.

Would it be that big of a deal to drop some napalm on Pigeon Island? That area is diseased, thanks to those flying parasites, and it would do the region some good and prevent further infestation. If they need a sniper to take them out, give me a box of .223 and sign me up.

I was told by a home owner on Manuella of people chasing them off the lake and when they took off it literally darkened the sky because there was that many of them. How the DNR can allow this to happen is beyond me. Something needs to be done before it gets further out of hand. Sitting on the landing with binocs watching them land and take off is hardly a determent to the birds, but I suppose a five year study will need to be done before any real action is taken. Maybe we can use some of that dedicated "outdoors" tax money to actually do some good. rolleyes.gif

You are correct on all points. Yes, some folks chase them off on the weekends but what happens during the week when its nice and quiet, no boating and ski-do activity and cabin owners back home? I fear the worst.

I have heard (just heard) that Marian and Waconia had/has problems with the birds. A petition was submitted to the DNR. I don't know what eventually happened or if the DNR responded. I guess the only "people power" would come in terms of the Lake Associations in the area.

Outdoor money? The state already spent some of that buying up land area for building an SRA with future bike paths, gazebos, and another "Ripley like camper park" in the untouched, beautiful, Greenleaf/Sioux Lake area. LOL.

Faner

I drive by Pigeon every day and yes the population of both birds has grown significantly. Unfortunately because of the overlook I believe this place is a bird sanctuary. I could be wrong though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since the opener, I have fished Manuella about 10 days @ 2-3 hours per day. Fished it 4 days of the the 4th of July weekend. Caught 2 little northerns. Unbelievable ! I caught something on Manuella !! Other than that, NOT A BITE since the opener. I did see some boats fishing the drops but never saw a net. I continue to fish the lake in that last year, the walleye bite was pretty good and some days, impressive. Not this year.

My buddy's parents have a cabin on Manuella. We heading there this weekend. Have any of you guys fished it since the 4th?

I have fished it quite a bit. I have my boat tied to the dock so I fish it out of sheer laziness. I know some hot spots on Washington but that would require more than jumping in the boat and firing it up. So I fish three days a week and get skunked two of them! But, since I put in the time I do eat fish once in a while. This lake is not a constant producer but every once in a while you can pull in some fish.

• 2 months later...