Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ikeslayer

Sheriff

4 posts in this topic

i saw the sheriff was out on lake zum on sunday. it was good to see i thought. How do they patrol? Do they stop and ask everyone to see life jackets or what? Just wondering how they go about looking for trouble? They pulled up next to us at the pondy and they just smiled and said hi didn't ask to see anything. I can tell you however that for as many boats that were out there i was glad to see the law was close by.

ike

They don't ask everyone to produce PFD's. You can guarantee that they did check you however. When they pull by they are checking for alcoholic beverages among other things. Most sheriff departments are really stepping up BWI enforcement. Of coarse they are out there checking for PFD's and other boating violations, but they are very perceptive when they motor by you. smirk.gif

Sunday was the 2nd day I’ve seen the Sheriff(s) on the lake this season. Both days, I saw them pull over several boats including some that were traveling right next to me. They are just doing their jobs out there and I’m happy to see them. I think the first thing they look for is current stickers on your boat.

I’ve seen them just sitting back and glassing boats looking at the driver and alcohol. We saw them pull over a 17’ boat that had 7 people in it. I suppose they have a set of criteria that signals a red flag. They didn’t bother me on either occasion. The first time I was obviously fishing, and this past Sunday we were just cruising with 4 people in my boat.

I’ve also seen them nab jet skiers for one reason or another.

When we loaded the boat, they were parked in the pondy bay and must have been up in the campgrounds or something. I personally like to see enforcement out there so it a safer place for everybody. I’m not trying to be a fun hater here, but the services they provide save lives and I’m all for it.

Yeah Tyler it is a very good thing. I would personally like to see them have more patrols on area lakes. Some of these lakes are so overrun by boats and PWC. Just keeps everyone in line.