Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
picksbigwagon

vacation from home?

3 posts in this topic

I read about this last year on this site I believe, but could be wrong. Here is what I am planning on doing, taking the last week of July as a vacation from home, doing day trips to lakes in the metro area. I will hit Mille lacs at least one day but what lakes would you all suggest? I live in prior Lake but that shouldn't be a deterent to lakes else where. My fishing buddy lives in Mahat-toe-meddi so we are familiar with WBL and Bald Eagle. starting at sun up and ending at dark, Ideally targeting walleyes, northerns and bass. thanks for the ideas. If you suggest a lake, be a little more specific since I am not familiar with many of the metro lakes.

Definitely hit the St. Croix one day, and the Mighty Miss another, or even hit them both in one day as they are close. During the week is perfect, as traffic is down. You can't go wrong, though I am more familiar with St. Croix. Trolling is great, and you can use 2 lines each, so get an Offshore (my fav brand) planer board with tattle flag and have some fun! Lake Pepin was also a lot of fun, and we caught tons of sauger and walleye just jigging the points.

Other thoughts - the Chisago lakes (head up 35 and turn off at 8 towards Taylor Falls) for bass. Green has always had bigger fish for us, and Chisago has had more, but we used to fish it more than we do now, so can't sat for sure anymore.

Big Marine (west of Stillwater area, east of Forest Lake) is worth a day, or maybe hit Big Marine for an evening of walleye fishing after heading back from Chisago or the upper St. Croix.

Upper St. Croix, above the dam. Smallies and walleyes and some pike, never know what might lurk. Access on WI side just through St. Croix Falls. Not busy during the week. Beautiful scenery, definitely worth a dayu trip, but watch for shallows. Any fishing boat can navigate it, we use 18' boat. Jig walleyes with minnows in about 20 FOW around the rocks. Once you find them they bite like crazy, but are usually small for us. Can troll the main channel upstream as well, with a planer board hugging the shoreline for pike or bass, and deeper cranks under the boat for walleyes.

West Rush up I35, muskies, big pike, big walleye... but the water is so scummy you will need to wash your boat twice after you get it out smile.gif Also some big sheephead that make you think you have the next state record walleye on! ha!

There are some thoughts, I am jealous, you will have a great time on any of the metro lakes you choose!

Wow, I really would like to chime in and give you some suggestions, but BoxMn just about said the exact things I would've said. So yeah, go with that route.