Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PDOGG

Worth bringing the boat?

10 posts in this topic

I'm staying at Camden State Park this weekend and was wondering if there is any decent fishing going on? I perfer walleyes but am game for about anything? I would be willing to drive about an hour from the park if thats what it takes. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I have never fished in this area before.

Rock Lake is not too far south of where you will be. We didn't get any walleyes there Saturday morning but shortly after we left they did start up in the afternoon. Everybody is trolling cranks. Good luck.

Wood lake is just a hop skip and a jump away from Camden. that would be a good choice also. I saw 6-8 boats out there on the 4th.

Thanks for the help guys. Firebug is it mainly a trolling bite on wood also? I checked both these lakes on the DNR lake finder and both seem to have a healthy population of Perch am I better off trying to get some of them?

Also what hours do you have your bait store open maybe i'll swing in.

One of the guys I work with was fishing on Rock on the 4th and they had four walleyes and a huge perch trolling cranks. To specifically target perch this time of year would be kind of tough I would think. They usually do best on them in the fall or ice fishing on these prairie lakes but you never know unless you try. Good luck.

thanks for the advice guys. But the people who where supposed to tow my boat out there bailed on us at the last minute and I have to pull the camper so it doesnt look like Ill get to go fishing maybe next time the wife and kids really like that park.

Bring your rods and try for some of the trout that are in the stream that runs through the campground.

Never tried for a trout in my life where does a guy start ?

It's been a long time since I fished there but what we did was just let a piece of nightcrawler drift under the culverts where the stream crossed the road. They were real low and the trout hung out under them. This worked pretty good especially when the trout stocking truck had been there within the week. That and throwing up against any rock or branch in the water or hanging low over the water that looked like it might hold a trout. Caught some rather large minnows that way also. I would imagine now you would need a trout stamp besides your license.