Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim_Anderson

BFH Musky Report

5 posts in this topic

Musky action is starting to heat up in the area, although Mille Lacs remains slow.

We fished Mille Lacs Friday and Saturday night, both the south end rocks and weeds and north end weeds and sand. Friday night was flat calm and beautifu. Big wind blew up on Saturday night and made things difficult. Was hoping the full moon would trigger some activity, but it didn't happen for us anyway. Shouldn't be long and the fish should start showing up at their summer homes, but many of us are thinking right now that the muskies are really in transition and out in the open water. Would have liked to get out there and do some trolling, but the wind wouldn't allow it.

On the bright side, we had a five fish day between Alex and Sham yesterday (Sunday). All fish ranging from 39 to 47", and were caught shallow on a variety of smaller bucktails and spinnerbaits. Black/orange, brown/yellow, chartreuse/white...color didn't seem to matter. Crazy how the muskies can be off on one lake and on at the other, and how we so often go from "rags to riches", but I guess that's musky fishing!

Headed to Vermilion for four days later this week. Will post on that when I get back.

Good luck Musky fishing!

Tim Anderson

218-232-6067

Was up to a buddy's cabin by Mille Lacs this weekend muskie fishing. Fished Cedar Lake south of Aitken thurs. nite, fri, morning, sat. nite, with no success. Couple of hits but believe they were small snakes. Has anyone fished this lake before for muskies. I fished it last year and had couple of nice follows but no strikes. Also, any other lakes worth targeting in Brainerd area that hold muskies?

ummmm........Mille Lacs maybe??!!!!

Mallard,

I used to live one mile from Cedar, and fished it several times a week for several years. There's some nice fish in there (dnr netted a few this spring over 50 inches). Tons of structure, but not great numbers of fish. My opinion is they tend to move around alot. They won't necessarily be in one spot from one year to the next, or from one week to the next for that matter. My biggest out of there is 47 inches. I've had some multiple fish days, but probably more where I didn't catch any at all. When I lived over there, fishing seemed to get worse and worse every year. Lots of pressure there, that's for sure. Landing is full on weeknights, especially if it's windy over on Mille Lacs.

Any questions in particular about Cedar?

Hey Tim! How was Vermilion? Anything to report? Jody and I are heading back up there on the 21st for a week. As usual fishing the west end. Shoot me an email if you'd like.

Jeff

jyoung@brainerd.net