Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badfish

Rush Lake Bass?

8 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone fishes rush lake for bass, I was out all this weekend and only managed about 10 between 1 and 3 pounds and caught about 50 northerns. I mostly fished the slop bay over by the north access in about 3-8ft of water and the bass were hard to locate. I was using spinnerbaits and jigs mostly. Where does everyone else fish on this lake? Do you think the bass are deeper or just in a negative mood? thanks for any help

I fished Rush on Saturday and it was a tough bite.

I didn't fish for bass too hard, but I suspect they are deep. I didn't find many in the shallows at all. Reports from the area, and experience on other lakes tells me these bass are not in the shallows. I had been catching decent bass in 20+' of water on other lakes..

Tie on some plastics or a jig n pig and go deep. Typical pattern I see with bass every year during June/early July.

Try the Horse shoe (west side where the otter flows in) and for the Northerns hope you kept 3... to help thin them out, there getting more and more every year.. crazy.gif

There are some really nice cabbage beds on those main lake points on the west side. You can site fish them, as they poke out of the water when it's calm. They should be starting to hold numbers of good fish by now.

A jig worm will do nicely. Any color will work, as long as it's grape....

grin.gif

Thanks for everyone replies i'll have to try those areas. yeah we did keep 2 of the smaller northerns, I couldn't believe how many of them there were.

It's like 2-1 at happy hour, I did pull a 39 1/2 out this year, and hunreds of her kids smirk.gif Also try the sunfish they are real nice if you pull them out of 15+ feet of water. wink.gif

We did manage to pull out 2 pike that were over 30 inches for sure. Yeah I do know a secret sunfish spot but the size is slowly declining so i ain't tellingcool.gif lol

Will be at OT the week of July 16. While OT is a great wally lake, would like to harvest northerns for couple meals while there. Rush sounds like a good lake to start. The slop areas next to deeper water, is that correct? Is there a distinct weed edge on Rush?

While I'm sure no one wants to disclose a secret spot for blugills, my soninlaw and I would sure like to excercise a bunch. Makes them meaner and bigger ya know! We did some flyrodding last fall, Nov/Dec before our freeze. Caught a bunch on several afternoons; release all. We do harvest em but not always. They were wacking a little black nymph. Anyhow, if anyone can give general depth, area likely spots we would appreciate that info. Target 12' +- plus a weed edge, does that sound about right?

While we will be wally fishin OT, we won't be hurtin the population. Am not real proficient at catchin wallys unless they get into the suicide mode, that would be fun for an evening.

Thanks Charlie