• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Let me see your re-model!

irvingdog

Question

I'm going to re-do my old 14' Lund boat. Deep and wide, it needs the work. It had 3 bench-seats, and for some reason, someone took out the BACK one, put in a flat floor, and a seat post for the back (operator) seat. I have a feeling this is going to be a fun project, and there is obviously no template for the work, but I'd like to see your handiwork on your boats for some inspiration and ideas.

I plan on pulling the center bench and move it to the back, and open up the middle part. Other than that, I'm wide open to photos and tips.

Thanks!

Can I get some info on how to move a bench and reinforcing the bottom?

I would like to repaint my Lund. What is the best way short of buggin my buddy to re-run it through the factory? Is it something the average or below average handyman can attempt or do you need special tools? (But honey, they said on fishingminnesota that I had to buy these tools) grin.gif

2 years ago I just cleaned up the boat real good with paint thinner.. then sprayed it with some 'commercial' red tractor spray paint from Menards.. can't remember the brand but it was clearly for metal and outdoors. Still a perfect finish! (look at my pix at the top and you will see I only repainted the red portion)... didn't bother with the inside.. that would be a lot harder.

I also forgot to ask where you can get marine plywood in the metro. I have a few pieces that are dry rotting.

I just used 3/4" green treated plywood from Menards... don't go thinner than that!

And before anyone mentions it!... supposedly it reacts with aluminum... but the carpet is wrapped around and stretched around 4" underneath the deck and stapled and glues. It will never come in contact. And I would highly doubt even if it was in direct contact it would do something as catastrophic and eat through.

Here's my remodel... well, most of it. I still need to take a few more pics and make an adjustment or two to what will be the completely finished product, but this shows most of what was done, what was underneath, and how it looks now.

Go to this link, and does a slideshow for it. 35 pics... for some reason the first pic is the last one I took, then it goes in the right order... not sure why that is, but what the heck, it's there...

http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/560169201nqjEja

Lake Elmo lumber has marine ply, as well as many other exotic hardwood plywood and lumber. For the most part, when you have marine ply special ordered from other yards around the Metro, they're getting it from Lake Elmo.

It does eat through. The project boat I bought earlier this year had green treat ply for sidewall rails and after it had been on there for a couple years, it was very pitted and unhealthy looking.

Not saying it'll happen overnight, but caution should be used for long term projects, like decking a boat.

Just my $0.02

Can get marine plywood from Hallberg in Forest Lake. A couple years ago it was $85 per sheet. Worth every penny.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Slick, very nice job on the remodel.

Thanks guys -

I definitely like the gray carpet over the old blue astroturf. Much easier on the bare foot. laugh.gif

I finally got it out on the water this morning... amazing what new fuel lines will do for the idle. Ran the Mississippi from Champlian to the CR Dam... lots of nice smallie territory in there, I must say.

Quote:

Ok yep you should be able to see the pictures, I looked at it from internet explorer this time, and I could see it. I will try to post the updated pics by tomorrow.

Did I say tomorrow? Well I meant a couple of months.

Here are some newer pictures.

100_0499.jpg100_0503.jpg100_0500.jpg100_0502.jpg

And here is my boat name, a work in progress

100_0544.jpg

By the way the befor pictures are on page 2. There is only one so maybe I will add more. By the way that 18hp johnson ended up not working, and I had to pay a $158 just to figure out what the problem was frown.gifmad.gif

I hope this thread can get re-started again. I would love to see other re-models.

I've modified my 14' lund, but need a digi camera to snap some shots. I put in a deck, fabbed up a bow mount support for the trolling motor, added GPS and lights and stuck the LX-5 in the bow. It fishes really nice and is very comfy! Like I said, I'll get some shots soon, probably by the weekend, so don't go and bury this thread just yet :-)

Thanks to ShawnnyB who took the pictures, I can finally post something.

It's not much yet, but it's 10 times better then having just bench sets, IMHO. The most notable part of the whole mod is the bow mount. I didn't like the idea of drilling into a near perfect early 70's boat, so I designed something that would support it without holes. Basically, I cut a couple pieces of 1X1X3.5" angle iron and welded them to a piece of 4X1/8" steel bar. Because the trolling motor is mounted to the bow plate, the plate prevents it from moving back and forth. The only thing the new mount had to do is prevent it from moving up and down, and it works perfectly! The best part, no holes grin.gif

Also added a RAM mount for the GPS map with lakemaster on the new bow support, bow trolling motor ducter for the LX5 with bracket on the floor, and fitted the bow light to attach to the RAM mount for night time fishing. This puts the light above the trolling motor smile.gif

lund2.jpg

lund4.jpg

lund3.jpg

lund5.jpg

Cool! All of the posts have been awesome, but this is the closest to what I have to work with, and what I have in mind. Nice work Hovermn!

Here is out remodel.

This 14' Lund was once owned by my grandpa. Now many could've argued that it would've been cheaper to buy a boat already completed like this, but when it has sentimental value, price really doesn't matter.

We wanted to replace the middle bench seat and put in a floor for the longest time, but were concerned about doing the work ourselves. So my dad did some research and found a guy who does some good quality work. We got rid of the middle bench seat, put in a floor, casting deck, pedestal seats, floor lights and nav lights as well as storage under the casting deck and a storage cabinet for the anchor rope.

Here's what we started with...

100_2741.jpg

100_2742.jpg

100_2743.jpg

And here is what it looked like when we got it back.

100_2757.jpg

100_2759.jpg

100_2761.jpg

We love it! Now we just need to find a solid running motor to replace the one we have.

Very well thought out and well done! I'd love to take the center seat out. How did taking yours out effect the stibility of the boat and how much more does it flex if any? Looks like we have the same boat...

Nice looking boat!

Quote:

Very well thought out and well done! I'd love to take the center seat out. How did taking yours out effect the stibility of the boat and how much more does it flex if any? Looks like we have the same boat...

Nice looking boat!

Taking out the middle seat didn't affect the flexibility at all. Just as long as the back and front seats are still there, then it's just fine (that's what we were told).

And I forgot to mention, the middle seat is not actually removed. It is cut/grinded down to the lowest level needed for floor clearance. There is done for two reasons... it leaves the factory rivots undisturbed so you don't have to worry about them leaking when you replace the rivots or wield the holes shut. Also, it keeps the flotation in place (the block of foam under the middle seat) from moving around under the floor. It sits right in-between the sides of the seat that are left under the floor.

I personally have not taken the boat on the water yet. My dad had it out one weekend with 3 other people in it on Big Sandy. He said it was really nice to have the middle seat out. With lack of fishing time this year, I probably won't get a chance to use it until next year.

Looks great Spork! I especially like how he did the bow area. Nice and clean and added some nice storage.

Ideas and inspiration!!! Now, I think I want to deck from the second bench all the way to the nose, but I want to build up some of the nose like Sporks boat.

Anyone have any idea how spray on bed liner would work in a boat like this?

I think there is another thread around here that talked about having a spray-on bed liner inside the boat. Someone said they had it in their boat and it's been holding up nicely.

Can't find the thread, but I know it's here somewhere...