Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shack

Question for Smallie Hawgin?

7 posts in this topic

This could apply to anyone who knows!!!!

When out fishing on MInnesota river north, the islands are posted by DNR to keep off. My question is, does this apply to the long sand bars that form off of island. The way the signs are posted, it seems like you can not enter island area (go past signs). We like to and have been for many years going out sand bars and fishing over night. Is this still legal or is it wrong.

Thanks

I would call Rick Reller the CO and ask him. It is always nice to know for sure.

Quote:

This could apply to anyone who knows!!!!

When out fishing on MInnesota river north, the islands are posted by DNR to keep off. My question is, does this apply to the long sand bars that form off of island. The way the signs are posted, it seems like you can not enter island area (go past signs). We like to and have been for many years going out sand bars and fishing over night. Is this still legal or is it wrong.

Thanks

Shack,

On the Miss... there are many islands that are publicly owned, some of which are SNAs or Scientific and Natural Areas. While these are not open for camping, hunting or harvesting of critters they are allowed to be used and walked on. By legal definition, the land below the OHW or ordinary high water is public property. So even if the land was private on shore if you were on a sand bar it would be legal. It is only in a very few cases where land owned or leased by the DNR is not allowed to be accessed one example would be our fenced office complex.... (well off hours anyway).

The SNAs are intended to preserve the property without a large amount of human influence.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Sir. Good info...

What about the islands that near Sartell they are all posted by a private party. Of cousre there is no address no phone number or signature on these signs but can someone actually own the island and as asked before with the high water mark I would have to belive I could walk all over the island without actually tresspassing.

Quote:

What about the islands that near Sartell they are all posted by a private party. Of course there is no address no phone number or signature on these signs but can someone actually own the island and as asked before with the high water mark I would have to believe I could walk all over the island without actually tresspassing.

Uphill,

Islands can be privately owned as well. You need to be a little more careful if it is posted. The OHW definition is to the "top of the bank" on rivers and streams. This is the semi annual return; so to where the top of the root scour level is in most cases. Usually if it is gravel or sand you might have an argument. I would just play it safe and stay off if it is posted. Keeps it simple. smirk.gifgrin.gif

Keep in mind though that just because it is public does not mean you can ride a 4 wheeler there though... We have noticed quite a bit of this recently. It is actually illegal to ride a 4 wheeler below the ohw in any waterway... even on the river....

Hope this helps... I guess the running motto is "if in doubt; ask"

Never planned on going on the island just wondered about it being posted. I am going to assume it is to keep either duck/goose hunters away or the weekend boaters from tieing up and tieing one on. Thanks.