Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fathead

Potato Lake

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

It has been a few weeks since I have fished the Park Rapids area. I will be up on Potato lake this Friday for a family vacation. I was wondering if there has been any decent action lately? Since I will have my wife and kids with, I plan on fishing panfish and smallies the majority of the time, but will sneak out in the mornings and late evenings to see if I can locate some eyes. smile.gif

I am pretty sure I should be able to locate the smallies, but I have never fished panfish on this lake and any tips on location would be appreciated.

Hey fathead, the eye bite has been pretty good as of late, nothing like early June but it is one of better bites in the area right now. Guys have been fishing leeches and redtails in that 18 to 24 foot range and finding fish scattered along the weed edges, not much happening on the rocks so unless you want the smallies and rockets i would ignore them. stop by Northern when you get into town and we will look at a map and point out some better panfish water. Jonah

MuskyBug,

Good to hear the eyes are still going. We caught quite a few of them on Potato earlier in May/June as well.

I will definetely be stopping in at Northern. That is where I always get my bait from. Great people, information and bait.

I am just learning Potato lake for the first time this year. I fished it about a dozen times so far. Great lake for eyes and smallies.

Are you working Saturday morning? Maybe we can swap walleye spots cool.gif

Just up at potato last weekend, fished everything, jig and leech, bobber, lindy, no walleyes, the (Contact Us Please) rock bass would scoop up everything before you had a chance to get it in front of any walleye's, I was fishing 12-17' fow, so if you are going to try, go deeper, I did catch some very nice smallies, and largemouth, no northerns. I spoke with some of the local duffers and they said the walleye bite has not been good for about 1-2 weeks. If you can find them more power to you. Good luck!!!

sorry i am guiding on Saturday morning, and then again on tuesday, but i will be in most of next week. Jonah