Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boedigheimer

Barbless hooks?

3 posts in this topic

The fishing on Mille Lacs has been bonkers all season, some slow days, but for the most part its been very good. With all these fish being caught and released its only natural that even with low hooking mortality that its going to add up to alot of dead walleyes, as has recently been seen.

Maybe an option would be to use barbless hooks. A few fish would be lost of course, but if it eliminates a few dead walleyes floating across the lake what the heck?

It would definitely be alot easier to remove a small hook from the esophagus of a big fish if the barb was removed. And I doubt very seriously that the hook just 'works itself out' after stapling the throat shut.

Barbless is the way to go. I have never lost a fish because of a barbless hook. Smallies may be different, but walleye should never wiggle off if you maintain pressure.

I have been to Mille Lacs 2 times this year and have used circle hooks. They have been working great for me. No fish with a hook in the throat. smile.gif