• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trophy walleye Green lake?

I wonder how many trophy walleyes are caught in green each summer. Trophy, meaning 29inches and bigger.

If any are caught they're keeping most of them a secret!

In a way that is to bad. But I can unstand guys would like to keep some things under their hats. I have a photo for you Dale. walleye.jpg

Nice one!! I figured you were setting up for that picture with your original post. Now would you care to share some info? When? Depth? method? and are you sure you were on Green Lake by Spicer laugh.gif

Is that a fresh fish,.........kinda look frozen to me.......:)grin.gif

In my opinion, there are probably more than a person thinks. If i were to guess a number, i would say probably 6. Like all other area lakes, there is always a few trophys lurking the waters. I just wish a person didn't have to drive so far to have fishing like mill lacs or lake of the woods or rainy lake. Why cant we have a lake like those in our backyard?

Amen to that both of you. I agree 100% but at the same time I beleive that there are trophy patterns to these lakes and you are not going to catch the 24+ fish along side the under 20s most of the time on most lakes. This is what I have found in my short lifetime and when I am either targeting known big fish patterns for me or stumble on one, MOST of the time I am not catching eaters either. I think that is what a lot of people do in the area and that is just my theory on the non-mille lacs type of lakes. And yes I truely believe if they put the same slot on almost any lake like they have ML the last 6 years it would be the same or close....think about it. It just depends on what you value. In any sense, nice fish guys.

A buddy and myself landed two walleyes over 10 pounds on the same lake within a week after opener. The lake is within 15 minutes of Willmar.

...And the second fish was caught about 10 yards from the same spot in less than two feet of water!

This the second time I had this gentleman fishing Green lake. The first time we targeted smallies, as he had never caught a smallmouth before. On that trip he caught a 20 1/2" on a tube jig.

Then he wanted to go back, fish for smallies, and walleyes. We fished rocky points and large flats, got a few 16- 19" smallies. At noon we decided to try the walleye bite. I showed him how to tie a spinning rig, using jumbo leeches. Drifted in 39 ft water, just fast enough to get the spinner to rock back and forth. We drifted for about 30 minutes, he put the rod down while I was showing him how I tie on a jig. We were going to also, fish some of the deep humps. When his rod doubled over, after several minutes of coaching, he got this beauty to the boat. After the high fives and his jumping up and down, we settled down to photogragh his catch. He has caught few walleyes before, most under 20 inches. This one measured 30 1/2". Later that evening he had another big eye just up to boat, when she come unhooked. What a day 2 big eyes in the same day. He asked "what my biggest walleye was". I told " A 32" caught in pool 2, in the twin cities, which had to go back due to the catch and release regs."

We hit the Bald Eagle lake in White Bear the next day. he cuaght several small pike. I caught this 44" muskie trolling cranks. musky002.jpg

Was a great way to end the weekend.

leech21, do you think it was the same fish the second time too? also the fact it was around the same spot.

Just wondering after reading your post.

Nice to know that they were CPR'd.

J.

J, nope not the same fish at all.

I thought the same thing at first because both taped out at 30 inches even. But then I remembered that the first had a big injury wound on its right side from a pelican or something. the second fish did not.

I know a guy who lives on a area lake, he catches a 10 lbs walleye on that lake every year. The largest so far is a 13lb. eye caught in 5 ft of water. The lake is better know for its panfish.

I just wonder how many others catch trophy eye's around Kandiyohi county area.

I was fishing off shore on foot lake in willmar last fall I hooked into a super fat 291/2 inch eye had to weigh over ten pounds I had no camera so I put it on a stringer left it in the water ran home and came back with a camera took a couple pics and let it go. The next night in the same spot you got it I hooked a fat 291/2 inch eye with a stringer hole in the bottom lip pretty cool. Its still out there maybe Ill get her a couple times this fall also.

I see eyes over 10 every year I do fish alot,they are out of my boat,I dont fish green much if I do Its early morn weekday,nothin over six there yet,

Jim, was that you on Bear Facts and Fish Tales last night? I didn't hear it, but a guy at work told me about some Jim guy that guides on Green. He told me the story about the trophy smallmouth and walleye catch, so I figured it had to be the same fish this post referred to.

Bigfife, yes it was I. I listen to mark and larry every sunday nite. Unless something lese comes up that I can't. I met larry when I first moved to Richfield, He was working for Burger Bros. sporting goods. Larry will tell at to you staight, no BS, I like that.

It was funny, I showed this guy how to do a few things. And he catches 2 trophy fish in 1 day. Guys fish for years and never catch a trophy fish. Yet, I'm still learning more about Green lake each time I go out. I have a some great relatives to thank for sharing their knowledge also.

Dan, how's the St.Croix going? I have not been on the Croix, for some time. Fishing Green, Pulaski, and Minnetonka for most of my fishing. Have done some fishing on the Ol' Miss. for smallies.