• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rum River Trip

Going on a 32 mile trip on the rum. I was looking for river and fishing information. we will start out at Cambridge and end at Rum River Regional Park. Are there any special areas to watch out for?

Nymph- I'm very jealous. I'd suggest checking out the DNR website as well as the Minnesota Paddling guide, (either the northern or southern edition). Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Wow 32 miles! That would be cool, well in my boat:) How long will that take?

It takes about 2 days. We have a long first day and the second is shorter by about 3 hrs. On average, you can travel

about 3 mph down a river. With fishing and lunches ect. about 15 hours on the water. It is a great trip. We have done the trip for 3 years with different people going and they all have mentioned they would like to do it again.

My previous post was looking for changes in the river and fishing information which all saves us a little time to do more fishing. grin.gif

I just made new seats for the trip. Finished the installation today, and am ready to go. The other seats were the plastic molded ones. They didn't work well with the sitbacker chair.

canoeseats0011dc2.jpg

canoeseats0033ml0.jpg

I love seeing creative craftsmanship. smile.gif

A BIG, ROCK ON! smile.gifsmile.gif

Way up in the skinny water I would assume they would be in the deeper pools with eveything else. I don't know what deep would be way up there maybe 3-5 foot holes. Otherwise anything that is cover for the fish. I know the whole river is like that so cast cast cast:)

Good luck and when are you going?

I have never been on the Rum before but I am curious if I can wade the river and fish? I just I notice there are a couple of access points by the Rum River Central Park. How high is the river at this part and could I wade it?

Thanks for any info--DT10

Sorry - can't help you with this one - have seen the river from these accesses but was not looking at it with that in mind. All I know is (a) water was moving pretty good and (B) no way I could launch my boat from these acesses. They are definately for SMALL boats and canoes only. Good luck!

Daze Off

You can wade the whole stretch starting at the canoe launch, years ago I did it almost daily, before

they made it "Modern"

One note of caution, there are some, or were, really deep holes on a couple, one stands

out, of the bends, I learned that the hard way and at the time wasn't much of a swimmer, I taught

my old dog Bubba to be a water rescue dog starting the next day. The one day I left the dogs home

I almost don't get back to feed em. Dogs are good. smile.gif

Bubba at the Rum 600.jpg

Bubba_Christie_BI.jpgsmile.gif

Quote:

I have never been on the Rum before but I am curious if I can wade the river and fish? I just I notice there are a couple of access points by the Rum River Central Park. How high is the river at this part and could I wade it?

Thanks for any info--DT10

I tried wading in about a week ago in Rum River Cntrl Park and got skunked. The water looked pretty low, but there seemed like there were some nice holding spots despite that. After a couple hours of nothing I gave up and left... on my way out I tried the bridge that crosses the Rum just to the south of the park and caught two tiny guys and a snake.

So yeah... I'm looking for some ideas on shore fishing/wading for smallies along the rum too. Are they North or South of the park? Because unless I just ran into bad luck that day that stretch didn't seem to hold much.

Saxman, thanks for the update. I think I am still going to try the river around this park on Saturday morning. How was the water level? You mentioned that it seemed low. How deep is low? Is it easy to wade the shoreline?

Thanks again--DT10

I have to believe the waters pretty low up there and the fish are in their hiding spots, sitting in one place will blank you. Wade it a couple times and you'll get em, read the spots, fish slow and use sinking type baits. Bring your camera in a baggie. grin.gif

Quote:

Saxman, thanks for the update. I think I am still going to try the river around this park on Saturday morning. How was the water level? You mentioned that it seemed low. How deep is low? Is it easy to wade the shoreline?

Thanks again--DT10

You can certainly wade around most of the shoreline & shallow areas, but some parts get pretty muddy. Even then you can walk through the forest along the river to move places if you can't walk down in the water. Make sure to wear closed toed-sandals or shoes though... I wore my chacos and I think something bit me frown.gif

Many parts could not have been deeper than 5 feet, and most stretches shallower than 3 (at least near the canoe landing in central park).

Make sure to let me know how it goes. I've heard enough good stories from the Rum to know it's worth the 45min drive for me as long as I have some idea of where to walk.

Quote:

I have to believe the waters pretty low up there and the fish are in their hiding spots, sitting in one place will blank you. Wade it a couple times and you'll get em, read the spots, fish slow and use sinking type baits. Bring your camera in a baggie.
grin.gif

Have you had success for smallies in the Central Park area along the Rum? Maybe I just had an off day. smile.gif

The ONLY Smallie I have ever brought home that I can think of came from that stretch, 4#11oz, had it mounted, last one I'll ever keep to I think. Water was a lot higher than it is now. Lost one the next day same size, same spot, pre boat, live bait, shore fishing days.

Thanks for all of the info guys. I will let you know how I do. Hopefully I will have a few pictures to share! laugh.gif

DT10

We made the 32 miles without any problems. The water is way down this year. We managed a few smallies and a few nice pike. The pike my sister is holding was the biggest one of the trip at about 6 lbs. The hot lure was a small husky jerk in chartreuse and silver. Most of the fish were holding at the tail ends of the runs or pools after, where the water has more oxygen I am guessing.

7212007rumriver006123br4.jpg

7212007rumriver012123zp0.jpg

7212007rumriver020123hl5.jpg

7212007rumriver010123se0.jpg

Quote:

We made the 32 miles without any problems. The water is way down this year. We managed a few smallies and a few nice pike. The pike my sister is holding was the biggest one of the trip at about 6 lbs. The hot lure was a small husky jerk in chartreuse and silver. Most of the fish were holding at the tail ends of the runs or pools after, where the water has more oxygen I am guessing.

Nice pike!

You said that you ended your trip at the RR regional park? Where is that relative to the RR Central Park? Further North?

There is a Rum River North county park and south of that is the RR Central Regional Park

There are a few designated camp sites along the river to stay when you are making a trip.