Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Borch

Cass, Pike Bay, etc Report

3 posts in this topic

Well we just got back from 2 weeks of fishing in the Cass Lake area. Talk about a lot of wind as well as tempature fluctulations. Most of our time was spend fishing Pike Bay. On Pike Bay there was a lot of walleye action. Only downside was that most of these fish were small. Most were in the 11 - 14" range. Another year or two and there should be quite a few nice eyes going there. Fish were caught in 17-22 feet of water during the day on spinners and leeches. During the evening the fish moved up into the shallows and were caught on lighted bobber rigs or pulling shad raps. Biggest eyes caught on Pike Bay were a couple of fat 23" fish. We actually did better with bigger fish after the major cold front this week. Water temp was 67.8 on Friday morning.

On Cass Lake I kept hearing about the deep bite which I was not able to cash in on. It may have had something to do with all the wind we had the past few weeks. Most of the eyes came off the weed edge in 12-17 feet of water on a spinner or livebait rig tipped with a leech or crawler. Also a lot of small eyes on Cass. However, there were plenty of the 16-19" fish to be found. Biggest eye on Cass was a plump 24" eye. Water temp was 74.8 degrees on Monday.

We also made a trip to one of the many smaller Cass Lake area lakes for some panfish action. Caught lots of big sunfish on beds or in the weed edges. Seems like a transition time on the lake we were on. Some got into the crappies that were in the reeds and others suspending off the break. A few big bass caught as well while chasing the panfish. Water temps ranged from 69 - 72 degrees.

Good Luck!

Thank you Borch !!! I am getting ready to visit Ken at Ojibway Resort this weekend.

This year more than ever I cannot wait for it, I haven't even got 1 fish on my pole yet and we are all looking forward to this vacation.

I also fished Pike Bay the last few weekends. Have done real well, but alot of smaller fish. This weekend we managed a 23.5, 22, and a 20.5 as well as many smaller fish and a few 17-18 inchers. All fish were caught the last hour before dark and after pulling shad raps in 11-16 ft range. Borch is right, the low 20 inch fish are FAT!!! Would have liked to have had a scale in the boat to see what they weighed!