Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
work sucks

One in a Million Day!

9 posts in this topic

Fished the pond on the 29th, started out at 6:30 on the flats. Ended up with a 26 1/2" eye and missed several more. The walleye seamed to just die off at around 9:30 so we decided to head down to the south end and try for some smallies after a bite at Izaty's. The smallies were definitly hitting. We were pretty much sight fishing them. There were pods of 6-8 fish all over and when we could see them...we cought them. We had 6 of the over 18 inches with a nice 19 3/4 topping them all. The hot ticket today was a red hook tipped with a leech and a split shot a couplw of feet abouve that. On our way back to the launch we saw one more spot that we wanted to try. There was a couple of guys catching a couple smallies but left shortly after we arrived so we moved in on the spot that they were. The first cast I made up on the rocks I had one hit it hard and leave a little boil in the water. Next cast I saw a huge flash and felt the strike so I reared back and set the hook...being in only 4 foot of clear water I realized exactly what I had hooked into and it stopped my heart for a second...a HUGE SKI! I thought I would have no chance having at that time 6lb line and a 1/4oz jig head with a 2" twister tail. As I was fighting the fish - to make it more unbelievable there was 5 or 6 more huge muskies swimming around in the same spot. One of the other muskies swam right up next to mine and that one was at least 10" longer than the one I had hooked. The battle took around 15 adreneline pumping minuted. There were a couple of 50' runs that she darted straight away and rolled 4-5 times...my drag would just squeal and every time she did it I thought that would be it. When it finally tired out enough I was starting to wonder how to land here with a 20" net. My dad had the net in hand and I told him this was going to be a one shot deal. I guided her head into the net and he tried to lift it out. The net started to bend so I threw down the rod and quickly grabbed the net with one hand and the tail of the fish with the other. Once in the boat and a couple of WOO-HOO's, we took a couple of quick pics and a measurment. 46" and by far the biggest of my life. It was one in a million. It was also the first time in 15 years that my dad, brother, and myself got together and fished (a late fathers day gift to my dad).

177302493207_0_ALB.jpg

The 46" Monster

208302493207_0_ALB.jpg

Dad's 26 1/2

397302493207_0_ALB.jpg

One of my 18+ inchers

597302493207_0_ALB.jpg

My brothers 19 3/4" "Football"

Congrats on a very good day of fishing. cool.gif Thats what ML can be all about.

Great story. I couldn't see the pics but that had to be a great outing with your Dad. Mille Lacs is awesome.

Ditto, sounds like the perfect day! Congrats. If you could get the pics working, I wqould love to see them as well.

Anyone have any ideas on making the pics work...I see them on my end through the FM website...???

Great fish

If you right click on the red x and go to the properties, you can copy and paste the URL onto your address bar then you can see the pic.

Very nice fish. I would love to get out on Mille Lacs and chase the smallies and the Skis. My boat is a 14' Lund with a 15. I have to plan it out and pray for a calm day. If there is much of a breeze, then it is a no go for the big pond.

Nice Muskie-

Looks like it is bleeding from the gills???

Michael

Walleye King-

Yeah there was a little blood..When I hooked her she rolled and the whole time I was fighting she had the line coming off the back of her mouth and across the gill. Hopefully she mad a full recovery. She did revive well during the release though. crazy.gif