• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1994 Merc 75 - tilt and trim quit...

archer59

Question

Tried to trim up the motor to get out of the driveway tonight and motor would not trim up. I can hear the tilt and trim motor running but nothing moves. I opened the manual release valve, pulled up the motor and tightened it up again. I checked the fluid level and seemed to be OK. I did notice the filler plug didn't have an O ring and didn't seam to seal very well. I was going to replace that and add the o ring. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,

Nick

5 answers to this question

Maybe check the voltage coming off the battery. Might not be kicking out enough to power trim.

OK... I pulled the tilt and trim and checked it with a battery. The motor runs but there is no movement from the piston up or down. Still looking for ideas or who should I take this to to get fixed?

Thanks,

Nick

How long did you run the tilt/trim?

When I start mine up after a (long) time of non-use, it takes probably 20 seconds or so before the motor lifts.

I had the boat out last week. Never took that long to start lifting. I just ran it for 30 seconds and nothing. Do you think I need to change out all the O rings?

Nick

It's hard to say for sure, but IMO, probably not just an o-ring - but it could be.

If it's like most hydraulics, there are check valves and and other types of circuit elements. Could be something like a check valve stuck open or some other valve stuck in the wrong position. When that happens, often the flow bypasses to tank instead of going to the load.