Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pike fisher 02

4 walleye limit Starting July 14?

12 posts in this topic

have they upped the limit to four or are they still at 2 ive been told both

According to DNR website:If the quota has not been reached, it may change to 4, on July 14 2007. If it does, it will be posted on the DNR web site and at the landings at least 5 days prior.

According to thr Regs pamphlet page 22: If the specified harvest limit has not been reached by June 30 2007, the limit will change to 4, and it will be posted.

It does not say how long this change would last, or if it would include winter ice fishing. I was understanding they were doing a split quota for Summer and Winter???

A little more info, apparently the qualifying quota starts Dec 1. It looks like the take is far below quota, so it is very likely that the increase to 4 will be announced very soon.

As of June 15 the take from Dec 1 to June 15 was 91,000#, well below the 134,000#.

Winter take 70,000#, opener to June 15 21,000#. Summer take less than 1/2 of last year.

Speculation for the sharp decrease, is gas pricing and the long drive for 2 fish limit.

Sounds like if the quota is met, the lake is closed to Walleye fishing...til the next quota year starting Dec 1.

As far as I know it is almost certain that the limit will be moved to 4 walleyes July 14th. Early June was only 6,000 pounds of walleyes killed. (walleyes kept and hooking mortality) From Opener until June 15th the total was 21,000 pounds killed.

Next winter it reverts back to the 2 walleye limit.

Looks like the DNR posted it today:

DNR announces change to a four fish bag limit for Upper Red Lake (2007-07-10)

Anglers who fish the State waters of Upper Red Lake will be able to keep four walleye starting 12:01 a.m., Saturday, July 14.

The higher bag limit is an increase of two fish from the regulation that began in May of 2006 when the lake was reopened to walleye fishing. The regulation will afford anglers more opportunity to keep fish while still limiting the take to within the safe harvest level.

"The citizen advisory group up here had recommended we relax regulations for the remainder of this open water season if possible," said Gary Barnard, Bemidji area fisheries supervisor. "That possibility is now a reality because anglers caught fewer fish than anticipated during May and June, primarily due to less-than-expected fishing pressure because of windy weather."

The current protected size limit will remain in effect requiring all walleye from 17-26 inches to be immediately released. Only one walleye larger than 26 inches may be kept. The four fish bag limit will be in effect through Nov. 30, 2007, with regulations reverting back to a two fish bag on Dec. 1 for the 2007-2008 winter season.

Red Lake was closed to walleye fishing from May 1999 through February 2006 after the population collapsed from over-harvest. The regulation that went into affect last spring has been successful in managing angler harvest under the target level of 3.5 pounds per acre, or 168,000 pounds. A local citizen advisory group recommended that, if possible, the DNR should try to allocate the harvest equally between winter and open-water angling seasons, or 84,000 pounds per season.

Barnard said the winter harvest estimate was 70,000 pounds for 2006-07 season, very near the seasonal target level. However, fishing pressure and harvest rates this spring have been lower than anticipated, resulting in a total harvest of 24,000 pounds through the May-June period. The DNR, through its rule-making process, is able change to a four fish bag limit if total winter harvest plus May and June harvest are less than 134,000 pounds.

"We had the ability to make the change and we were glad to do it," said Barnard. He said winter angling pressure on Upper Red has been much more predictable than the open water angling. This reflects how ice fishing, which now features overnight rental houses, large portable wheeled houses, and a thriving winter ice road business, allows anglers to access to the lake and to fish in comfort through all kinds of weather conditions. The same isn't true for open water fishing.

Harvest projections under a four fish bag limit for the winter season indicate a high probability of exceeding target harvest levels. Therefore, reverting to a two fish bag limit on Dec. 1 will be necessary to manage winter harvest and minimize the risk of an early season closure. Barnard said the DNR will continue to monitor harvest and work with local citizens and businesses to maximize angling opportunities on State waters of Upper Red Lake.

Thanks for the update Wayne!

Too bad the under harvest couldn't be banked for Winter, or a year round 3 limit...maybe in the future???

Anyone have any recent data on the numbers/percentages of different size Walleyes in Red???

Are enough small frys going to continue making it to slot size, or are they going to be eaten up by the ones that are over slot and continue to grow ever larger???

Or is it too soon to tell??? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Lots of 8-10 inchers out there and lots right at 17. Hopefully the wind will quit one of these days.

It's looking like it's gonna be a beautiful Saturday. I'll be up there with the woman and the kids. Hopefully we can get on some fish. What's a good tactic to fish eye's this time of year up there? I will be prepared to try anything from slip bobbering to trolling whatever?? Soes anyone have any tips for fishing UR this time of year? Thanks for any help.

Try wp33, wp25, North shore we have had several days o NW wind and the water is real dirty.

4 and 1/2 unfishable days in a row.

kinda looks kite-flyin' weather for a few more days frown.gif

I will be flying my Crestliner kite for the next full four days. I think tonight I am going to watch "The Perfect Storm" to prepair for the this weekends guide trips. grin.gif

Anglers who fish the State waters of Upper Red Lake will be able to keep four walleye starting 12:01 a.m., Saturday, July 14.

The higher bag limit is an increase of two fish from the regulation that began in May of 2006 when the lake was reopened to walleye fishing. The regulation will afford anglers more opportunity to keep fish while still limiting the take to within the safe harvest level.

"The citizen advisory group up here had recommended we relax regulations for the remainder of this open water season if possible," said Gary Barnard, Bemidji area fisheries supervisor. "That possibility is now a reality because anglers caught fewer fish than anticipated during May and June, primarily due to less-than-expected fishing pressure because of windy weather."

The current protected size limit will remain in effect requiring all walleye from 17- to 26-inches to be immediately released. Only one walleye larger than 26 inches may be kept. The four-fish bag limit will be in effect through Nov. 30, 2007, with regulations reverting back to a two-fish bag on Dec. 1 for the 2007-2008 winter season.

Red Lake was closed to walleye fishing from May 1999 through February 2006 after the population collapsed from over-harvest. The regulation that went into affect last spring has been successful in managing angler harvest under the target level of 3.5 pounds per acre, or 168,000 pounds. A local citizen advisory group recommended that, if possible, the DNR should try to allocate the harvest equally between winter and open-water angling seasons, or 84,000 pounds per season.

Barnard said the winter harvest estimate was 70,000 pounds for 2006-07 season, very near the seasonal target level. However, fishing pressure and harvest rates this spring have been lower than anticipated, resulting in a total harvest of 24,000 pounds through the May-June period. The DNR, through its rule-making process, is able change to a four fish bag limit if total winter harvest plus May and June harvest are less than 134,000 pounds.

"We had the ability to make the change and we were glad to do it," said Barnard. He said winter angling pressure on Upper Red has been much more predictable than the open water angling. This reflects how ice fishing, which now features overnight rental houses, large portable wheeled houses, and a thriving winter ice road business, allows anglers to access to the lake and to fish in comfort through all kinds of weather conditions. The same isn't true for open water fishing.

Harvest projections under a four-fish bag limit for the winter season indicate a high probability of exceeding target harvest levels. Therefore, reverting to a two-fish bag limit on Dec. 1 will be necessary to manage winter harvest and minimize the risk of an early season closure. Barnard said the DNR will continue to monitor harvest and work with local citizens and businesses to maximize angling opportunities on State waters of Upper Red Lake.