• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best discount on a credit card???

BLACKJACK

Question

Theres a discussion under the new truck thread about credit card discounts, thought I'd ask what you get back.

My GM card gives me 5% of my purchase price in redemption points, the catch is that it has to be used toward a new GM vehicle. My Cabelas card gives me 1% back, or 2% if I'm buying Cabelas merchandise. Both these cards have no annual fees.

What credit cards do you have that give a better than 1% back discount?

12 answers to this question

I have had a Bass Pro Shops Visa for about 8 years now. Pretty much the same as Cabela's, but I believe you get 4% when you buy their stuff. My wife has one too. I enjoy about once a year to buy a bunch of tackle or rod or reel. We pretty much put everything on cc now, pay it off completely every month and get to blow the rewards on goodies every year. I usually end up getting about $250 every year from it.

Pay attention to deals by opening up a card, as some are better than others.

Citibank used to be a really good card, but not sure anymore, they may have dropped from 5% on gas to only 1%.

I used mostly my Gander Card, 1% on everything else, and 5% on Gander purchases. They also have a good opening purchase, so if you need a big purchase (I got a layout blind and shells and decoys and some other stuff, and saved like over $100), always 10% off or better, and they often give good coupons for purchases at Gander. And Gander matches prices of all other stores, so that is cool.

For most of these, you don't want to carry any balance, as the interest rate is like 16% or more, though I am not sure as I don't carry balance. At least it is not as bad as the Discover cards, should you happen to miss a payment. I only use that card for Sams purchases.

I won't pay a yearly fee for any card though, regardless of the bonus you get. Good luck,

I havent got a credit card before, how would I be able to get a credit history started so I could get one?

I run a Chrysler rewards from Bank of America.

It gives me 1% on all purchases, 5% on purchases made at a Chrysler / Dodge dealership. I can then use the rewards towards a vehicle purchase, parts, service, or even monthly payments on my vehicle.

Since my wife drives a Town and Country, and I've got 2 Dodge trucks for work, needless to say, I can add up 5% purchases pretty quick, plus all my fuel for work is run through the card each month.

About every 3 months I get $100 off on a truck payment.

Quote:

I havent got a credit card before, how would I be able to get a credit history started so I could get one?

Chances are that you will have to get a credit card with a yearly membership fee. When I started my credit, I applied for a card from Capitol One. The only card I could get was one with a $400 dollar credit limit and a 40 or 50 dollar a year membership fee. I used that card responsibly (never carried a balance for more than 1 month). They increased my limit to a 1000 then 2000 then 5000. Then after that I started getting offers from other companies. Now I have several credit cards, but the one I use regularly is the Cabelas Card. I take college classes part time, so I charge my tuition to my Cabelas card, and then I pay off my card immediately. I like the rewards and my credit has never been better.

I have gotten an offer from BPS for their card but did not do it. Can you apply for the cards from Gander/cabelas/BPS without getting a deal in the mail?

The Chase Freedom card has no annual fee and gives back 3% on gas, grocery and fast food; 1% on the rest. It is amazing has fast it adds up :-)

Quote:

My experience is that credit card companies are ALWAYS willing to hook you up, no matter the credit history, age, whatever. When I was in college, I could get a card with a higher spending limit than I can get now! My advice to you is not to apply to lots of cards to see which ones approve. For some stupid reason, applying for credit hurts your credit score, albeit temporarily. Go to all the major card websites and compare the offers for short credit history folks. I hate that credit cards are the only way to really start your credit history, just pay them off every month or you pay outlandish (should be outlawed) interest! Hope that helps, I'm no expert, just sharing personal experience.

I looking for advice on which card to get- the Gander Card or the Cabela's Card. I know the Cabela's point never expire, but I have heard that the Gander points need to be turning into gift cards once a year if you don't use them?? That is what the kid behind the counter said anyway and they didn't have any printed info for me to read to figure it out on my own. Can somebody with a Gander card shed some light on this for me?? Thanks-

With the Gander card once you hit 2500 points you get a $25 voucher in the mail (same as a storecredit/gift card). That might be what he was trying to explain.

Quote:

I got an American Express card with no credit history. It was a student card. I'm assuming you are a student, and even if you aren't they aren't checking to see if you are. Basically they ask if you have a job and what you have in the bank. I think my opening limit was like $600 bucks, but after 4 years or so it was 5 figures. I never carried a balance, which you won't want to carry either. Now I've moved on to the bigger and better cards (which I don't carry balances on either).

Good luck. American Express gets turned down in a lot of places but it was always there if I was in a tight spot.

FEED THE PIG!