• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is the new McQuade Boat Ramp open yet? If not, anyone know the anticipated date for opening? Thx.

I have not heard any thing. I was going to take a drive and see what was going on there as well.

there was a article in the paper a week or so ago stating that it is not open yet and they plan to open it later this summer or early this fall. although it looks done, it sounds like they have a lot of work to do still and they are getting frusterated with people moving or ignoring the baracades they put up. I drive by there every day and it's rare to see anything getting done, hope they can finish up soon!

Thanks for the updates. Hoping to be on the lake Saturday and Sunday and was hoping McQuade was open. We will have to decide whether to launch out of Duluth or Knife River.

It's closed but I've seen people using it. They kept their rigs right by the access and not in the parking lot. Probably didn't want to get ticketed if a cop or CO drove by, although technically the launch isn't marked as "closed." Last time I drove by, the barriers were gone.

There is still some landscaping and other things that need to get done. It's gonna be a while yet.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

When I talked with workers from Northland last Spring they said as far as they were concerned it was ready and it just needed a second layer of blacktop. That second layer was to be #1 on the list of jobs.

I don't know what the hold up is or why this project takes a back seat on the priority list. The official word is this Fall and it seems that even though we're very close to having a safe harbor right now, theres no rush to beat that deadline.

I do know someone that used the launch recently though. No, they didn't move any barricades to get in.

Ya this thing could have and should have been done for the summer season. What good does it do to get it done in the fall?

Those docks also need to be dropped a few feet they are way too high. I dont want to rip on this project too much but there are a lot of things that didnt get thought out too well.

Im glad its there and hopefully some expensive bugs will get worked out and it will be set for us small boat owners to use.

I heard from a coworker that the launch can be used and it is up to the contractor's disgression to enforce the "closed" status, which I am sure is the least concern of a contractor in mid summer.

Steve

As far as I could tell on my drives by the past week is that Mcquade is open. Northlander, you don't belong on the north shore anyways. There's no walleyes up in those parts. tongue.gif

Yes there are eyes up there I have done very good on them Tom confused.gif. Well steve will just have to learn how to catch them smirk.gif. Steve you must learn one way or another keep trying and you will succeed on your fishing smirk.gif Steve you now the fishing is the same out there as it is on the north shore well fish them the same way and you will do just fine 100 ft back and no weight and you will get eyes trust me, I would do it more but when working out there I did not or will not target them cool.gif.

" Well steve will just have to learn how to catch them smirk.gif.

Thanks Tom but I think I have that covered. North Shore just doesnt hold the numbers the south shore does. Somthing about 3 lines too.

Steve if I was you I would not fish this side they are not stocking fish but we still have to have a trout stamp confused.gif. But then you get to have three lines and WI, still plants fish and it shows I think I am not buying a trout stamp for the big lake next year I will just support your side More fish to catch and it shows cool.gif.

Quote:

Those docks also need to be dropped a few feet they are way too high. I dont want to rip on this project too much but there are a lot of things that didnt get thought out too well.

Im glad its there and hopefully some expensive bugs will get worked out and it will be set for us small boat owners to use.

If the lake returns to historic levels it should be a little more user friendly for the small boats. A dock too high beats no dock at all smile.gif

I think even at "Normal" levels those docks would still come about 3/4 way down my windshield. I hope the lake comes up that high again. It wont be any time soon though.

Do we want to wait 2-5 years ( if we are lucky) for the water to rise so the docks get to a decent height?

Like I said before Im happy its there I just wish more thought would have been put into certain areas of the project. Maybe they could have gotten the fishermen involved a bit?

Quote:

Quote:

If the lake returns to historic levels it should be a little more user friendly for the small boats. A dock too high beats no dock at all smile.gif

Do you mean prehistoric levels or a sort of historic levels grin.gif

Prehistoric would mean there is nothing there but land so Im thinking a little more recent than that. Post glacier. wink.gif

It will be open soon Boy's for us to use this great location and great not to have to run that long run back to duluth shocked.gif.

I have already used it...never saw any barriers or closed signs.

the area is closed and wont be done until end of the month or aug. Something to do about picnic tables and 1 more layer of blacktop.

I think it open there where boats there to day and saw three rigs that where there today laugh.gif.

People were using it but sun am it was blocked by 2 detour sings that somebody moved apart to get by. frown.gif

Well, they are back put together as of this evening. Looks like she is off limits. confused.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I took a look around Saturday and drove into the parking lot between two road blocks. Like Steve said, one dock is very high above the water. In addition to needing a layer of blacktop, theres no signs. Folks need to be reminded that you park your rigs in the parking lot and not next to the docks confused.gif.

i talked to a couple guys that stopped by the lodge that said they had launched out of mcquade and got ticketed. As of yesterday the enterence was blocked again.

Duluth township newsletter quoted the Police Chief saying there would be a grand opening in September and that they don't want anyone in there for contractor's liability for the time being.

September? Great just in time for ice up. crazy.gif

Gets later every time dont it?

I have been by there 3 times in the last few weeks and I see little progress happening around there. Whats the hold up?

First it was early sring then July now sept. I think this been put for when we get back to it. confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I asked my fishing buddy to stop by McQuade while he was up last weekend. He reports that a barricade is still up, the top layer of asphalt has not been laid, and no parking lot striping yet. But, no signs prohibiting use or threatening ticketing/towing, either. This is a second-hand report, but I asked him to look carefully and I trust his report.