Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLACKJACK

Minnewaska sunfish?

9 posts in this topic

Thinking about making a run up to Minnewaska this weekend to go after some sunfish. Anybody been having any luck? How deep? By the rushes on the west side? Thanks, any advice would be appreciated!

I don't fish too much for sunnies, but I did catch a few big, thick ones yesterday at sunset. Was trolling with spinner and crawler along the South side in ~15 FOW.

How big is big and thick? I hear and have read and experienced the fishing for bluegills on Waska and you can get good eaters but never got anything over 9". Read that Genz said this is one of the top panfishing lakes in the state with you getting many 3 to a 1 lb. That really isn't that good in my book.

3 to a pound is good ,, you are spose to let the big ones go anyway!! grin.gif

We had good luck on Sat, went out on the south side and caught a nice bunch of sunfish. Not huge but good eaters!!! Ended up taking home quite a few small ones because they were hooked deep. They were biting on everything, leeches, wax worms, nightcrawlers, even my wifes gum.

Kind of torqued me off, I watched a guy feeding the small sunfish that he didn't want to the pelicans - is that right? Those small ones will be next years big ones!!

I didn't keep the Sunnies so I didn't pay too much attention to their size. About all I can say is they completely filled my hand when I was unhooking them. I don't have Andre the Giant hands, but I am 6'2" - 6'3" and large frame.

No he shouldn't be doing that with sunfish. If he want's to feed the pelicans catch sheephead, doggies, & the like. Anybody that's ever fished Red in the summer knows that pelicans like sheepshead & Waska has quite a few of them...

we feed the pelicans sheephead all the time on Lac Qui Parle..lol.. I have seen people feeding them white bass also

well ya 3 to a pound is good when you don't catch anything bigger, which is usually the case for most central minnesota lakes, because of the pressure they recieve, nothing's kept hush/secret. But I am talking about catching 1/2-3/4 lb gills to eat, and I know most guys in the central part of the state would just go nuts for catching gills that big!

The 3/4 lb to 1 lb and up gills you are suppose to release which is usually 9, 9 1/2" to 10 1/2" or bigger unless you want to mount a pound bluegill which is fine, cuz you have every right to do so, or if you want eat it.