• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

XM or Sirius??

treble

Question

Im thinking about getting one of these and I was wondering which one you guys use and why one vs. the other. Also if you had any advice as far as recievers, I would appreciate it.

23 answers to this question

I have an XM with that said if I were to buy again I would go with Sirius because I feel they have better programming. But in a little while they are both suppose to be merging together so I assume they will put both of there programming together. I was ticked when XM let Nascar go I used to listen to it all the time coming back from the lake on Sun but no more.

Don't worry about the decision! In about 3-4 months they will be combined.

I used to have XM, now have Sirius. Hard to say but I think I liked XM better, of course if I went back to it then I'd probably miss Sirius.

I am really looking forward to the merger.

I believe they are suppose to complete the merge late in 2007.

I chose XM. I do a decent amount of traveling, so I liked XM having MLB and NHL because there's a number of games to choose from every night and day. Sirius has NFL and NBA and while I'm an NFL fan, I'm not usually on the road Sunday afternoons or can pick up Vikes games on the radio.

I've been an XM subscriber for almost 6 years, and think they're the best. Satellite radio has spoiled me - no more car sales, etc, and the music is wide-ranging in its' appeal.

I've been and XM customer for 5 years. Bought a new F150 a year ago with Sirius. Sirius in my opinion is way better. XM has changed over the years and now I dont care for it as much. Im patiently waiting for the merge because I still have the XM Radio in my boat and in my office.

Sirius without a doubt! I've been a subscriber for almost two years and I love it. My brother got XM with his new truck and I couldn't stand it I had to shut it off and listen to regular commercial laden radio.

Yeah I think i'm leaning toward Sirius... I was thinking about getting the reciever that works in your car or at home and also you can record things on it, like 30 hours or something, and use it portably with headphones. It looks like there are some pretty good deals on that thing on ebay right now.

Thanks for the input by the way

I went with XM because it was $2.00 cheaper per month. About 6 months after I got it they raised their cost the $2 so now it's the same. I'd go with Sirius now but both the wife and I have XM in each vehicle so it would cost too much to change over. Guess we'll just wait for the merger.

Quote:

I was ticked when XM let Nascar go I used to listen to it all the time coming back from the lake on Sun but no more.

Fox Sports still has Nascar on Sunday mornings.

In my opinion XM is starting to turn into public FM radio. XM has a infomercial almost every third song. Made me cancel the subscribtion after just 2 years of owning my truck and one of those years was free service. I think the merger will be good except for most of the pricing is coming from programs that I do not care to listen too and those would be Oprah channel and the Howard Stern channel.

Oh.. I've just been waiting for this thread to come up here!! I've been into 3 different dealerships to order a new truck. Once seriously and the other 2 for "spite" and when they asked me which satellite radio system I wanted, I told them NONE. They told me That I didn't have a choice, I had to choose either Serius or XM. At that point I gave the salesman a place to deliver the order and walked out. The first salesman just sat there, didn't say anything. The 2nd guy followed me into the lot and asked me why I didn't want satellite radio. I asked him why he thought I should PAY to listen to what they WANT me to hear. As far as "FORCED ON YOU RADIO" goes, If I want a certian kind of music, I,and I alone, will put in the CD of MY chioce and the XM and Sirius Satellites can go the way of the 8-tracks ( eventually, they will). WHY should I PAY for a friggin' radio station????? If you want an opinion on what to order... order an AM/FM/CD and send the message to XM and Serius that they can kiss your behind!!! IMHO smirk.gif Phred52

I get radio station sales people in my office all the time trying to sell me advertising time. Its always funny to see the look on their face when they see my XM radio playing. Well, they kinda rant like Phred. Its funny. I usually still advertise on the radio. I laugh and tell them that there job is probably safe for the time being.

Love my sirius in my truck and still have the option to listen to AM,FM, CD or turn it off. wink.gif

Phred, you don't have to listen to the sattelite radio, it's just there and you don't have to pay for it if you don't want to use it. You still get "normal" radio and disk funtions.

I understand that, I just don't like the idea of new vehicles with these radios as "standard equipment"' and I'm required to buy the unit (use it or not). Can anyone tell me just how much does the satellite capability add to the cost of radio?? The salesmen had no clue. Must be pretty rocky times that XM and Sirius that they need to piggy-back to boost their sales. Phred52

Phred, what company wouldn't want to team up with a big brand to boost sales? GM has XM as standard equipment and I believe it adds around $500 to the vehicle price. It's not some other big unit off to the side, it's built into the radio that needs extra wiring, that needs to be done before the truck is fully built from the factory. I believe if you install Satallite after it's built, it can cost $1200+. I know OnStar is very expensive to install after the truck has been built.

It's a nice feature to put in your vehicle because it helps the resale value believe it or not. I'm sure you can get low end model vehicles without any type of radio. Go to Honda and buy a Civic, they have models that don't have a radio period, and you could just listen to yourself whistling in the breeze.

Quote:

Can anyone tell me just how much does the satellite capability add to the cost of radio?? The salesmen had no clue.

It usually has this information right on the invoice for the vehicle. I think you had a stupid salesmen, like most are.

are people seriously not going to buy a new truck and walk out of a dealership because it includes satellite radio? confused.gif minnesota has garbage stations anyways.

Phred you will love satellite radio when you are up in canada ice fishing and the only thing that comes in on the radio in the truck or the boombox is the 3 stations ole&sven polkafest 24hrs a day,talk radio that is in french or 1950's country music I will choose satellite smile.gif

Absolutely love XM, no commercials, good variety, twins games and Home Ice is my favorite during hockey season.

Phred and others,

If you're that opposed to satellite radio, factory order your truck and you can select a model with a basic radio. Or not order it with the subscription service.

On top of that, you will probably save an extra $1000 on options you don't need, dealer floorplan, etc.

Quote:

Absolutely love XM, no commercials, good variety, twins games and Home Ice is my favorite during hockey season.

XM has commercials now. More like infomercials and more annoying than anything. It's usually only the channels owned by ClearChannel.