Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wade Joseph

Hypothetical question

13 posts in this topic

I have been contemplating upgrading my boat from my current mirrocraft 16' single console to a 18' lund tiller. The problem is, I'm not very fond of the current engine options available.

I think I've found a solution. Here is the hypothetical ???

Do you think RJ's would sell me a 1800 explorer tiller with a 5hp (yes FIVE Horsepower) merc?

Why wouldn't they? Just wondering.

Wade you should just call around and see if they will sell just the boat even though that might not get you the best price I think they would do it.The other thing you could do is find a motor and see what boats are a option for you.

You can still get some non current boats with a Yamaha, Honda or your favorite Mercury.

Call them and see what they have available in a non current like 04-06 Explorer. Should be able to buy just a boat and trailer but Im sure you can still get a Lund in those years with whatever you want on it.

I know of 1 guy who just got a 06 with a yamaha on it.

I just got an o6 w/honda on it.

Why on earth would you want to put a 5 horse motor on a 18 foot boat ? Did I miss something ? confused.gif

To use as a kicker. wink.gif

I assumewhat Wade is getting at is,,, if you have to buy a merc with a lund why not buy the cheapest merc and get what you want for the main powerplant ,,,but I've been wrong before

Randoid

Randoid, you hit it on the head!

Have you considered a different brand of boat that would allow you to get the brand of motor you want?

When I was shopping for boats I was deciding between a Lund 1700 Explorer and an Alumacraft Navigator 175. When I found out that they wanted $600 extra to put a Yamaha on an Explorer that was already $600 more expensive than the Navigator I went with the Alumacraft. I was getting a boat with a 75 hp 4-stroke and at the time Yamaha was the only one that was fuel injected. When it came down to chosing between the two boats the motor was more important.

I come from a Lund family. My dad has a Lund. My brother just bought his second Lund. I think Lunds are a great boat but IMHO Alumacrafts are equal in quality. RJ's sells Alumacrafts too.

If you really have your heart set on a Lund but definitely don't want a Mercury you could probably buy one with no motor. I wouldn't think you would even have to get one with the 5 hp.

You don't have to buy a Merc when you buy a Lund. You just can't get it factory rigged with another brand. One of the local dealers quoted me a price for a dealer rigged Explorer with either a Yamaha or Honda. The dealer said you can hang any motor on any boat. Incidently, I bought a new Explorer 1700 Sport with a 115 4s Merc. Now that I have it proped right it has turned out to be a smooth running unit that is living up to all expectations.

I wasn't aware RJs was a Merc dealer. My experience has been they generally outfit their rigs with Yamaha or Honda.

They have been a Merc dealer for several years. They picked it up when Minn Outdoor Rec closed up. Now- when you are a Lund Dealer you are a Merc dealer.