• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cabins on Rainy

We are looking at coming up the last week of July and fish on Rainy. Never fished it before. Any recommendations on any places to stay, either private cabin or commercial resort? There'd be 6 of us. We have our own boats. Don't need anything fancy or big $$$, just a basic place to eat and sleep. Prefer private, but either works. Prefer the U.S side.

Thanks,

'Pout

Hey Pout,

I'd suggest calling Woody's the sponsor of this site, and asking for Cheryl. She will be able to fill you in on what they have to offer. Nice nickname by the way! Tell them Daze sent ya! The fishing has been superb close by there. Shhh! Ha!

RD

• 5 weeks later...

HI DAVID,

YOU MAY WANT TO TALK TO PETE SCHULTZ WHO IS THE HEAD OF THE C.V.B. BOARD(COVENTION & VISITORS BUREAU) BEFORE RENTING OUT A PRIVATE CABIN. THEY COLLECT A 3% LODGING TAX AND MUST BE STATE APPROVED. THE ONLY WAY THEY DON'T COLLECT IS IF YOUR RENTING BY THE MONTH.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

So a private land owner can't make an arrangement with another willing private party to rent out his cabin for a week? Why should the state get a taste of that? This is in America we're talking about, right? Yeah, I'm sure those arrangements NEVER happen without the CVB knowing about it.

HI MIZEFISH,

WHATS DONE IN PRIVATE, I GUESS NO-ONE KNOWS, BUT WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT IT ON HERE, I'M GUESSING ITS NO LONGER PRIVATE RIGHT!!! THE STATE DOES NOT GET THE TAX, THE C.V.B. BOARD DOES. NUMEROUS CITIES HAVE A LODGING TAX. REMEMBER THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE READ THIS SITE, BUT DO NOT POST, THAT INCLUDES MOTEL & RESORT OWNERS. THEY FIGURE IF THEY HAVE TO PAY THAT LODGING TAX, THEN WHY SHOULDN'T YOU.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

I am not a lawyer but would think this area is kind of open to intent. If you have a place and make a casual arrangement to allow someone to pay you for it... it is not a resort or a similar type business. It would be similar to owning a car and renting the car to a person on a one time basis (ignoring insurance problems) you are not in competition with Avis etc. I would suggest someone might want to discuss this with their attorney but doubt the state or anyone would make much of a big deal.

That said, if you rent the cabin out all year (or all summer) as an income producer... that might be different. I would also think where the place is located might have something to do with this... is it in the CVB area? and what is that area defined as?

Just my thoughts.

Bitz

All of the resorts have put in a lot of effort to be able to rent out cabins. This includes a MN Dept. of Health license, annual inspections from the Fire Marshall, collecting state and local lodging taxes, and maintaining quality drinking water. Oh my God don’t get me started on the dinking water. The cost and regulations associated with a system that will provide water for a resort will blow your mind. Your property must also be zoned for or have a conditional use permit for weekly rental.

As stated above people do read this board and it does matter. Resort owners have worked far too hard to get were they are today. Bootleg lodging undermines all of that effort.

However I do feel that lodging is limited, and I. Falls is slowly dying. We need anything we can get and I am all for someone putting in the effort to create some business. But please do it by the book, your only hurting everyone if you don’t.

UP NORTH,

GOOD POST, IF SOMEONE WANTS TO LET SOMEONE STAY AT THEIR CABIN, NO BIG DEAL...I WOULD NEVER WANT TO HURT ANYONE TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING IN I.FALLS., AS I TOO OWN A BUSINESS.

AS FAR AS NEW VENTURES COMING INTO I FALLS, BELIEVE OR NOT THERE ARE ALOT OF THINGS IN THE WORKS, AND SOME OF THEM ARE HUGE...NOW SOME AREN'T FINALIZED, BUT THERE IS HOPE....1 IS A 100,000+++ MILLION DOLLAR PROJECT. TIME WILL TELL.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

I was not suggesting anything that would harm the resorts. I was not even advocating that people should rent out their cabins etc. I guess I was thinking people do rent out or loan out (either way, the resorts are affected potentially) their cabins. Doing so on a limited basis to help someone out versus trying to compete with Woody's etc is what I was seeing. Even you have offered up your cabin to help out someone before if I am not mistaken Fishmeister. Do you pay the tax and have all of the inspections?

I have also been informed of how expensive the septic and other parts of building a nice place is and really do understand this is not an inexpensive business to get into. If it were easy, I am sure you would find many more people living up on Rainy and running resorts.

No intent to upset anyone... please accept this as sincere.

Bitz

Hey Bitz,

Yes I hear where your coming from. Private cabins have been rented out forever. Do they compete with resorts? I don't really know. I guess to some extent they may. My personal opinion would be attracting tourist dollars to the area is the main objective of the CVB, and competition between a resort and a small cabin would be micro thinking in nature. As to the tax burden my guess would be that anyone collecting money from renting out there cabin every once in a while would be willing to pony up the 3% to head to the CVB. In turn I'm sure the CVB would include this little mom and pop cabin in there marketing plan right? Ha! Couldn't resist, but you better consider it. That is the reason for the CVB though. If you are willing to collect from a private little cabing renting out a couple weeks out of the year then you better be willing to use that portion of the money to benefit the place. Make no question about it owning a cabin up here is no cheap venture either as you make reference to. I've owned a restaurant/nightclub/bowling center and am aware of the state inspections. I will tell you from personal experience the restaurant side of the equation is where the headaches begin as far as expenses go. Lets not confuse the issues of Restaurant inspections with lodging inspections. Personally didn't find it to be that big of a deal, but do realize that the resorts have different issues to deal with concerning private septic and water issues. Although not any different than I as a personal home owner on the lake am dealing with. Just on a broader scale. My home is included in the Jackfish sewer project, and I drilled a well 285 feet through rock. Let me assure you neither of these projects are cheap in nature. Surely a resort is not always held to a higher standard, but rather anytime you are involving other peoples well being the state likes to be involved. I guess if it is you or I drinking the water who cares, but once a guest drinks it then it matters? Kind of funny when you think about it; not ha ha funny, but peculiar funny. I guess when it involves more than your own family then the state cares. Moreover when it involves more than just your family the state can benefit from the establishment thus calling if a "Business" and collect tax. Ah thats what it's really about now isn't it. Let's see Come up here and buy a lot and build a house for lets say $250,000.00. In all honesty thas a relatively conservative estimate considering lake values these days. I'm not exactly sure if this is cheaper than owning a resort considering you would have one lodging unit available a couple weeks out of the year more than likely. Fuzzy math maybe? I say let mom and pop rent there cabin out for a week. Have them pay the 3% to the CVB and let them have there say in the CVB discussion of dollars spent. Maybe there will be some new ideas that will help the area? Often times when a business is hurting it tends to look at all other things as to the cause of there downfall instead of looking right straight in the mirror. Spend the 3% wisely though, and change the billboard on the way up from the cities as most can read a map these days. Tell them why they want to be here. Tell them why many have figured out the extra hour of driving is worth it. Put your marketing hats on boys! LOTW "Walleye capital of the world"? Deemed by whom? HMNN maybe the LOTW CVB? International Falls Deemed "Ice Box of the world" HMNN I propose a new marketing slogan! Just random thought from Daze! Fish are still biting! Good Fishing Guys and Gals! Crazy seeing the big pike up shallow yet?

RD

Try the historic Tilton Hilton A.K.A( Kettle falls Hotel ). They are in the park and is ran by the feds. neat clean place to stay and lots of water to fish..

Good luck grin.gifsmile.gif

HI BITZ,

YEA, I WAS RENTING IT OUT...AS MY ACCOUNTANT TOLD ME IT WAS A GREAT WRITE OFF...HOWEVER AFTER TALKING TO PETE SCHULTZ THE C.V.B. DIRECTOR, HE EXPLAINED THAT IT WASN'T REALLY FAIR THAT ALL THE RESORTERS WERE PAYING THE LODGING TAX & THE PRIVATE OWNERS WERE NOT. SINCE THAT TIME I HAVE NOT MENTIONED I HAVE A CABIN TO RENT ON FISHING MN. I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE AWAY ANY POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS FROM THE RESORTS., AND THE FEW $ WE MADE WOULDN'T EVEN PAY THE ELECTRICITY., AND THE 3% WE WOULD PAID INTO THE C.V.B. BOARD WOULD HAVE NOT AMOUNTED TO 20 BUCKS, HOWEVER MULIPLY PEOPLE RENTING OUT PLACES COULD HURT THE RESORTS.

AND I'M NOT UPSET, AS FOLKS HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW. I HAVE A PARTNER IN MY CABIN & WE TALKED ABOUT THIS. WE DECIDED IT WAS NOT WORTH IT TO RENT IT OUT.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER