Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Notcho

Burntside Lakers?

12 posts in this topic

I will be up next week camping on Burntside and need some tips on where to find lakers. Depths and GPS locations would greatly help as well as presentation, jigs, spoons, ect... I have been on the lake before but only for smallies. Any advice is appreciated.

Notcho... Perhaps... I could trade you some GPS locations for your womenz...??? What!! No???

Then perhaps you should look into the 'Search' feature & get some great ideas from there...

Just playing', bout the woman thing & I guarantee you that using the search feature on this site regarding your lake/ fish of choice will do much more towards landing fish than asking for GPS locations. wink.gif

Or go to a bait shop in Ely & ask where...

I love camping on BSide & you will have fun & catch fish. Good luck.

-CLoma

Gotta agree on the GPS coordinates...that's a little rough.

How about GPS Coords where I didn't catch Lake Trout Saturday the 30th?? I could give you lots of those!!! I was a first time Laker fisherman on this lake too, and just followed the advice of several on here, including Great Outdoors... and was not successful. We basically dragged sucker minnows around, with a quite heavy sinker and minnows hooked by the tail, fishing between 50 and 80 feet. There were enough seen on the sonar in the depths I was told they would be, but they just were not taking the bait. The unknown for us was exactly where our bait was really sitting. We marked out 70 feet on our line with bobber stops and then used as much weight as it took to see the line making going down at a steep enough angle to indicate the bait was getting down there as we drifted. The wind was not terribly strong, but it pushed us anywhere from 3/4 to 1 mph on the gps. We fished the south shore anywhere from north east of Burntside Lodge, to west and south, past the public launch and onward in the direction of Dollar Island. Where I believe I was seeing the best indication of fish on my sonar was between Water's Island, and the point that comes out from shore. The wind pushed us through that narrow perfect. Nearly mid-way through the narrow the bottom would come up from 60 to 70 feet to 40ish rather quick, and then drop fast back to that 60-70 feet. It seemed like in these drops I was seeing some nice indications on the sonar of fish, and I was anxiously awaiting a strike as we were moving over them but no luck. The fish appeared to be in that 50 to 60 foot range in the on both sides of the hump. I may have had one strike but lack of paying attention on my part screwed it up. I was oogling in binoculars with my rod propped next to me. I heard my drag zinging and assumed I might have had the bottom. I picked up my rod and gave it a pull and whatever it was gave it up. A quick glace at the sonar showed we had just gone over a fish a few moments earlier. So, I guess I can wonder. That was about it for excitement and luck this time. I hope to learn a little more and try again another time.

Hey, what are you trying to do, scare the fish. You can't go dragging sucker minnows around by the tail -- it makes the fish think the bait is swimming backwards.

The old trout says, " you should've seen what I saw today -- a sucker minnow swimming backwards. This is not good. Maybe this is a sign we should lay low until the lake returns to normal."

See what I mean. Things like this can turn fishing off over the whole lake for days. That and trolling some of these muskie lures that are two feet long, in psychdelic pink with fringes and ruffles and spinners, and who knows what all. It can scare the fish and turn them off for weeks.

Just saying.....

Hans

I would like to get up there be- for the ICE comes just to find some new spots for this winter fishing smirk.gif. It would be fun to get some eaters and learn the lake a little more.

hehehehe hahahaha bwahhhaaaa grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

That's good Hans! Notcho, let us know how you did.

Hans, where the heck were you when I was looking for first time advice on catching Lakers? Good ole Great Outdoors was the source of the tip to hook the sucker minnow by the tail and drag it around. Maybe I was the laughing stock of all the wise lakers that day. I would have at least thought that I'd have gotten a bite from a trout with dyslexia, I'm sure they don't taste any different anyway!

To get the straight dope from Great Outdoors, first buy bait from Great Outdoors.

As to Lakers, try trolling the thermocline -- usually around 25 to 30 feet this time of year, early in the morning.

Hans

Must take more than buying the bait, I bought the bait, and got the advice in person. Maybe I needed to buy the more expensive designer sucker minnows.... grin.gif

somann,

Hey, I gave you the closely guarded secret of John Rosette with the sucker minnows, it works well! I've seen many of the fish he caught before his passing away, probably the most successful large laker taker on Burntside cool.gif

Don't pay any attention to Hans, only fish he ever gets to eat are from the grocery store. King Oscar sardines and Kipper Snacks are what you'd find on his stringer!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Like all old coots of Norwegian ancestry, I do enjoy a good can of sardines once in a while, and I will admit to catching far fewer fish per hour spent on the water than the mighty Great Outdoors, however, I still refuse to buy any fish at Zups except the odd fillet of salmon.

I haven't done much laker fishing on Burntside this summer do to a major kitchen remodeling project that is eating my time, but a certain number of Burntside beauties of the Walleye pursuasion have made it into my boat. Life is good. Hans