Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beretta

Looking for some advice

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am trying to get a vacation planned. I am finally done with school (in August) and my girlfriend doesnt have to go back until September. We are looking for a place to camp and fish. Large trophy fish arent important. We are mainly looking for some peace and quiet and I would like to try to keep her busy reeling in some eaters. Some smallies would be fun too, but not necessary. We would prefer to camp somewhere other than a camp ground if at all possible. Any suggestions? I have never fished LOW before so I am pretty much clueless. I have a 17.5 ft lund with a 90 horse on it if that makes any difference. One other thing is that I do not have downriggers...I have heard that is a popular way to fish in August. Is it possible to catch 'em without it? Thanks guys!

Well,in my opinion, it would be tough to beat Sioux Narrows for what you're describing, providing you can both enter Canada. You'll find large and small mouth bass, eyes, and you could even try for some lakers. There are thousands of islands up there, but I have no idea what their camping policies are...maybe Hemlock would have some insight about any regs they might have.

No question Sioux Narrows would be a great spot to go. The weekend lisence up there isnt to bad in price and the fishing is well worth the drive. As far as camping I believe that it isnt allowed on the islands. I fished crow lake last summer and they have it posted. Perhaps its only a lake by lake thing so you might have to check into it more, however there is alot of great places to camp while your up there

You don't have to go to Canada... Check out Voyageurs National Park, especially camping on islands in the east end of Rainy Lake, or in Namakan Lake. Privacy, no fees, designated sites (or you can camp elsewhere, with some restrictions). Your current boat/motor will do the job nicely, no downrigging gear required.